Anyone ever cycled London to Bristol

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
I'll be doing this on Saturday

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/687634

I will need a couple of water/cake stops in the latter half, anyone ever done this or know any good stops? else I imagine i'll find cafes near newbury/devizes/bath as needed?

• Sunbury
• Chertsey
• Ascot
• Farley Hill
• Spencers Wood
• Just north of Tadley
• Brimpton
• Crockham Heath
• Hungerford
• Mildenham
• Marlborough
• Just north of Devizes
• Melksham
• Bradford on
• Avon
• Bath
• Bristol
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'm sure ITBoffin will stick you a brew on when you get to Marlborough!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    My Mum knows a local fireman who does this on a regular basis

Have you done a Map My Ride, so we can take a look? Place names mean nothing to me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    edited June 2014
    Tutti Pole in Hungerford is a good stopping point at about halfway. Worth it for the weird uniforms.

Unless you are through super-early - avoid Ascot as it's Royal Ascot this week

Once you are past that halfway point, you're getting into cutesy little villages with tea shops a plenty - so you should have much to worry about.
  • Does the Bikeroutetoaster link not work?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Does the Bikeroutetoaster link not work?

works fine, good luck
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Its Chase the Sun this Saturday, which means loads of people will be riding from Isle of Sheppey to Burnham on Sea...not sure of the route yet, but probably a bit south of our route.

Myself and a load of friends are following the route on Saturday too, but only joining from Richmond Park to the end (147 miles ish).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Minor thoughts on route - once you leave Hungerford, go via Church Street and then follow the river along via Little Bedwyn, Burbage, Pewsey, Urchfont etc. - really nice route. Good cafe at Bratton as well.

Another alternative is the cafe at Avebury - Avebury might be an interesting place to be on Solstice!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Actually, here's our route

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5046255
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • That chase the sun looks good, it seems I cut on and off the route until devizes where I head North West. Had I known about that that would have saved me some route planning! but it's on the Garmin now so i'll not faff about changing it.

Good point about Ascot. I'll be through there by 8:30am so that shouldn't be too much bother.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    +100 Tutti Pole at Hungerford
    +1 for a stop at Avebury

I know the local Audaxes use the place in Bratton on the 200Km - I think they have a big fry up there. They also use the Tutti Pole as it is a bit of a Mecca for cyclists and tourists alike.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I did a couple of years ago on my Scandal (albeit with slicks). I took a very, very similar route to you, although I did it in two days. I even finished in Stoke Bishop too!

The weather absolutely sucked on the second day - I was drenched from Marlborough to Bath after staying overnight in Newbury. I also felt like it wasn't until I was past Bracknell that I was in the countryside.

The most scenic part of the ride is definitely from Hungerford to Devizes. Ramsbury was lovely, and the white horse on Pewbury Downs was a good sight.

Enjoy! Here is my course:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/1335610
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am doing the opposite way on the Action 100 Bristol-London in August: http://www.action.org.uk/action_100_bri ... ndon/route

They used to have two options Bristol-London or Bath-London (joining the same route). I did the Bath-London last year as my first imperial century and loved it, but the A4 was not ideal in some places - it was very flat compared to all the Sportives etc I do though! This year they seem to have routed away from the A4 around Newbury/Reading, which is probably a good thing. They have also dropped the shorter option from Bath - so I am having to 'man-up' and do the full thing! They also have the best feed stops I have ever seen and one of the few that does hot drinks at the stops...
  • holiver wrote:
    I did a couple of years ago on my Scandal (albeit with slicks). I took a very, very similar route to you, although I did it in two days. I even finished in Stoke Bishop too!

The weather absolutely sucked on the second day - I was drenched from Marlborough to Bath after staying overnight in Newbury. I also felt like it wasn't until I was past Bracknell that I was in the countryside.

The most scenic part of the ride is definitely from Hungerford to Devizes. Ramsbury was lovely, and the white horse on Pewbury Downs was a good sight.

Enjoy! Here is my course:

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/1335610

I think I might have cribbed your route off a previous post... I've just spotted i've scheduled in some off roading so I need remember to road based detour to avoid it.

I head past the Tutti Pole front door so I think that will be my major target. witha couple of top ups elsewhere.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Aha!

Yeah there was a short bit off road. I remember it being a well kept path though, very smooth with fine gravel. It was fine on my MTB, but I'd probably stick to the road if I were doing the same ride on my Kinesis.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    London to Bristol eh?

That always makes me think of Tim Moore's superb "French Revolutions" where he compares the distance a Tour rider covers to the equivalent of riding from London to Bristol every day for three weeks but with a snow covered peak placed somewhere in the vicinity of Swindon...
    FCN = 4
  • secretsam
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    London to Bristol eh?

That always makes me think of Tim Moore's superb "French Revolutions" where he compares the distance a Tour rider covers to the equivalent of riding from London to Bristol every day for three weeks but with a snow covered peak placed somewhere in the vicinity of Swindon...

A snow covered peak instead of Swindon would be a huge aesthetic improvement

• secretsam
    I'll be doing this on Saturday

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/687634

I will need a couple of water/cake stops in the latter half, anyone ever done this or know any good stops? else I imagine i'll find cafes near newbury/devizes/bath as needed?

• Sunbury
    • Chertsey
    • Ascot
    • Farley Hill
    • Spencers Wood
    • Just north of Tadley
    • Brimpton
    • Crockham Heath
    • Hungerford
    • Mildenham
    • Marlborough
    • Just north of Devizes
    • Melksham
    • Bradford on
    • Avon
    • Bath
    • Bristol

have now checked out your link :oops:

Looks like you're riding into Bristol on the cycle path from Bath? If so, good cafe on there at Bitton. Need to be aware that the 'old' Bath Road between Bath and Hanham in Bristol is fcuked following some rain, so if you were planning to take that...don't!

• mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    SecretSam wrote:
    My Mum knows a local fireman who does this on a regular basis

Have you done a Map My Ride, so we can take a look? Place names mean nothing to me

do you call him 'uncle'??? :twisted:
    FCN = 4
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've done it on a tandem over 3 days on the cycle route 4 and 5(?) on the Kennet and Avon and various other tow and bike paths. It was wonderful...
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Did part of it a couple of years ago on Royal Wedding Day, from Hungerford staying on the old A4 through through Marlborough, Calne and on as far as Cheltenham, as part of a longer ride - 102 mls that one. Really enjoyed it, not many hills to bother with and not much traffic, altho being RWD might have been a big factor there.

Each to their own but cake stops are whichever Spa shop / Esso / supermarket looms into view when I need sustenance. There were enough, and usually it's better to press on rather than go off looking for somewhere.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Looks like you're riding into Bristol on the cycle path from Bath? If so, good cafe on there at Bitton. Need to be aware that the 'old' Bath Road between Bath and Hanham in Bristol is fcuked following some rain, so if you were planning to take that...don't!

I'm hoping by that point i'll be on (old) home turf so autopilot may kick in? If not, by 'old bath road' does this form part of the Bristol Bath cycleway i'm likeley to hit? I havn't ridden it in years but the route means I can head through the two tunnels into bath.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    I'm hoping by that point i'll be on (old) home turf so autopilot may kick in? If not, by 'old bath road' does this form part of the Bristol Bath cycleway i'm likeley to hit? I havn't ridden it in years but the route means I can head through the two tunnels into bath.
    No it doesn't don't panic :) . The closed road is the A431 and the road closure is quite blatantly obvious with warning signs on all approaches. I think of you are coming from the 2 tunnels to the bristol bath path you might see one of the very early warning signs about it but that's all.

Mike
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The A431 at Kelston is passable on a bike cause there is a 'bypass' for bikes and peds though you'll be on the wrong side of the river to pick up the A431 if coming from the Two Tunnels route, you'll end up at Inverness Road onto the A4 and pick up the B2B path by the pub less than 100yds away.

The A431 'bypass' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kISU9dNVfzM
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    It's a nice route you've picked but make sure you have a map as well as Garmin, those back roads between Newbury and Burbage are a maze, I ride then practically everyday and still sometimes find myself going the wrong way.

Oh and the road out of shalbourne has a 20% hill up to the main road, I hope you eat well before you get there.

Why are you doing this BTW?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

I'll save a detailed pdf map on the phone as a backup map.

As for why, i've thinking of doing it for a while, the dorris has the car and is driving down later so it's a good excuse for some mileage. i'm from Bristol so it's essentially just heading home for the weekend. In the future I may do there and back over a long weekend.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CiB wrote:
    Did part of it a couple of years ago on Royal Wedding Day, from Hungerford staying on the old A4 through through Marlborough, Calne and on as far as Cheltenham, as part of a longer ride - 102 mls that one. Really enjoyed it, not many hills to bother with and not much traffic, altho being RWD might have been a big factor there.

Each to their own but cake stops are whichever Spa shop / Esso / supermarket looms into view when I need sustenance. There were enough, and usually it's better to press on rather than go off looking for somewhere.

I thought all bikes were RWD?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    • Sunbury
    • Chertsey
    • Ascot
    • Farley Hill
    • Spencers Wood
    • Just north of Tadley
    • Brimpton
    • Crockham Heath
    • Hungerford
    • Mildenham
    • Marlborough
    • Just north of Devizes
    • Melksham
    • Bradford on
    • Avon
    • Bath
    • Bristol

Man, what a suck-ass route!

Better:

Sunbury
    Heathrow
    A4
    Bristol.

Much easier to remember, too!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

I'll save a detailed pdf map on the phone as a backup map.

As for why, i've thinking of doing it for a while, the dorris has the car and is driving down later so it's a good excuse for some mileage. i'm from Bristol so it's essentially just heading home for the weekend. In the future I may do there and back over a long weekend.

My recommendation for good food is the Swan in Wilton your passing right pass it, you'd be mad to miss it.

depending on the time of day its quite likely that i'll be there stuffing my face and drinking my own considerable body weight in Ramsbury ales
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Oh and if you dare try a take any of my few remaining KOMs i will hunt you down and kill you ...

Twice!

• Man, what a suck-ass route!

Better:

Sunbury
    Heathrow
    A4
    Bristol.

Much easier to remember, too!

A4, wimp, middle lane of the M4 drafting a stobarts truck...