First fall

macp
macp Posts: 94
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Well it finally happened I could not clip out quick enough at a junction and down I went. I was wearing my new shoes with new Look cleats and I think it was partly down to inexperience and the cleats feeling a lot firmer in the pedals. I think I got off extremely lightly although I think my side and my hand & wrist will ache tomorrow having taken the brunt of impact. I was embarrassed but more peed off by a couple of small paint chips at the bottom of the frame :evil:

I have tried turning the spring adjuster on the pedal which seems to have little effect so I dribbled a little oil on the pedal then tried clipping in and out. It still seems more firm than the old cleats (I dont know how firm it should be) but with the pedal at the top of the stroke and pulling my knee in towards the cross bar its seems a bit better.

Anyway thanks for reading

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Everyone's done it !!!!! See it as a baptism.
  • At least you weren't flying down a road at 40mph and had a car/pedestrian/motorcycle pull out on you.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Could be worse, I have a scar on my chin from my last clipless moment.

Trauma is a great teacher!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • dancing
    dancing Posts: 16
    first big fall going down hill a lad fell in front of me over reacted braked went over the top about 30k collar bone got pushed away from the shoulder and was poking out of the top of my it.

Subsequent surgery to pin the collar bone back and waiting for the all clear haha taught me a lesson.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Even Jesus fell 3 times.
  • Shaggy1
    Shaggy1 Posts: 15
    I had same problem with clipping out but once I adjusted the mech it's now not an issue
  • dombhoy
    dombhoy Posts: 147
    I done the same thing but subsequently fell off the side of the road and into a ditch
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Ive done it, everyones done it, get up and don't do it again. I almost went down the other day and ive been at it two years!
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Shaggy1
    Shaggy1 Posts: 15
    I sometimes have more problems clipping in
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Even Jesus fell 3 times.

I'm not surprised with his riding position.

Christ-on-a-Bike.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Shaggy1 wrote:
    I sometimes have more problems clipping in

Ditto... Find Look cleats really hard to clip in when pulling away at roundabouts and lights... Not sure whether to change over...

In response to the OP, been there and done that as well, however, I was fortunate enough to have my mate stood right next to me so I only fell into him... Still felt a little stupid though :oops:
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I've never *touch wood* fallen off due to not being able to unclip... I've had a couple of close falls but thus far, have always managed to get unclipped just in time; probably just lucky!
  • macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Thanks all so decided to change the pedals & cleats perhaps for Shimano R540 SPD-SL as they seem to have a good following and are more user friendly.I notice there are two types one pair are called light action. Any thoughts ?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Another tip is to unclip at bottom of stroke, you can use your ankle and upper leg to unclip. Trying to do this near top of stroke can cause problems in the knee which is not keen on twisting.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • 1trev27
    1trev27 Posts: 4
    Did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago when I forgot to unclip at lights (first time using cleats). Looked like a prize tit on the ground with the bike on top of me ;-) Loving clipless now though!
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    macp wrote:
    Well it finally happened I could not clip out quick enough at a junction and down I went. I was wearing my new shoes with new Look cleats and I think it was partly down to inexperience and the cleats feeling a lot firmer in the pedals. I think I got off extremely lightly although I think my side and my hand & wrist will ache tomorrow having taken the brunt of impact. I was embarrassed but more peed off by a couple of small paint chips at the bottom of the frame :evil:

I have tried turning the spring adjuster on the pedal which seems to have little effect so I dribbled a little oil on the pedal then tried clipping in and out. It still seems more firm than the old cleats (I dont know how firm it should be) but with the pedal at the top of the stroke and pulling my knee in towards the cross bar its seems a bit better.

Anyway thanks for reading

Top tip - assume at every junction that you are going to have to stop so unclip one foot before potentially rolling to a stop. If you don't have to stop its dead easy to clip straight back in.
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    Good top tip there. Even though I know I need to do that, I still know I risk leaving too late too often. Accident waiting to happen

Otherwise I had a clipless related off when an inconsiderate 4*4 nudged me into a thorny ditch going up a steep hill. Lost momentum