Caustic Soda removal in Alabama

baron_o_buchlyvie
baron_o_buchlyvie Posts: 21
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi folks. I dissolved my seatpost a while back with caustic. I cleaned it out, or so I thought. It's now making sure that every bottom bracket I put in lasts about a week before dissolving. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I can get rid of it for good?

I'm on a tour (USA) as we speak and the whole thing has been quite disruptive. I had to get a lift to Tallahassee from a small town, I'm now in an even smaller town. I think it will last the 120 miles to Tuscaloosa, but I want it fixed for good.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Caustic soda is just an alkali, so you could wash it away/ dilute it enough to be harmless with lots of water.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Unexpected thread of the day! Surely if you take the bottom bracket out just immersing the frame in water for a bit would do. Or better something lightly acidic.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Yes, flush with water or vinegar if it's stubborn. Most things acidic will help such as Coke, water with lemon juice, boric acid, etc.
  • Old_Timer
    Old_Timer Posts: 262
    Flush the seat tube and BB shell, then spray in a lubricant or water repellant such as WD 40. Allow it to dry or wipe it dry by running a cloth through the ST and BB shell the spray in one of the frame tube sealants available.

Where are you currently? I'm in NW Florida, Escambia County, in the far west corner. Let me know if you need anything, we're just a few hours south of Tuscaloosa and its no problem.
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    remove post, bb etc. put frame in area with good drainage

insert hosepipe in seat tube and secure

retreat

turn on water

have several beers
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny