Schleck at Sky

tuneskyline
tuneskyline Posts: 370
edited July 2014 in Pro race
We all now King Andy has been rubbish the last 2 years. I don't feel that he has the motivation like Contador or Pantani etc, riders who can be individual and have flair but have dedication and drive. I also don't think Trek have pushed him enough and he's laziness has won through.
I do think that if he was at Sky he would now be back to his best and maybe even a decent TT rider. He would not be allowed to slack off. Do you think that it could have worked for him at Sky or would he just be to much of a handful? it's a shame such a great talent has lost and is losing some of his best years as a rider.
IMAeYu672TN6-andy-schleck-radioshack-leopard.jpg

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited June 2014
    Schleck at Sky?

He'll be alright going up the ladder to attach the satellite dish, it's the coming back down again that worries me.

Seriously though - I just don't think he wants to be a cyclist anymore. So Sky would have been terrible for him. The next step is retirement I reckon (although maybe back to Riis could do something).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tuneskyline
    RichN95 wrote:
    Schleck at Sky?

He'll be alright going up the ladder to attach the satellite dish, it's the coming back down again that worries me.

If he can be bothered to turn up :lol:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Meh, does anyone else think it's a bit of a coincidence that his lean years coincide exactly with the era of so-called cleaner cycling?

Plus where does he fit in at Sky? I think he needs Riis (for the pressure) and his brother (in warm up races). Then for him to perform his best, he has to be in a situation where he isn't tempted to wait for his brother when it all kicks off, so unfortunately Frank, its best if you crash out in the early stages...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Jez mon wrote:
    Meh, does anyone else think it's a bit of a coincidence that his lean years coincide exactly with the era of so-called cleaner cycling?

As the old Forum Super Fan I have to say.....I can't argue with that whatsoever.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Jez mon wrote:
    If it was solely down to that we would have seen more riders go the same way. I think he liked being a cyclist when it was people he was comfortable with but it all went south when the Leopard project failed and Bruyneel came into the picture (and he got injured too). I think he's a reluctant cyclist these days (kind of like Wiggins but more so).
  • tuneskyline
    Don't you feel there is a strong team ethos at Sky and there would be more motivation and a feeling that he must not let the team down. I don't think he gets that at Trek. I think Riis treated him with kid gloves that has maybe been part of the problem as to where he is at right now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jez mon wrote:

Yeah very true, I've been bleating on about Spanish sport (cycling, tennis, football) and the exact same thing tonight.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Would be a disaster.
  • tuneskyline
    Obviously we don't know but I don't think that's the answer.
    I don't really want this to turn into a doping thread , Contador is back or near to his best and then that would open up a lot of questions. I think Andy needs motivation and perhaps having the weight of a team on his shoulders who have a strong team ethic might get him back to form.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Haven't Sky already got one underachieving, undermotivated rider moping about and acting like a toddler demanding a cuddle? Can you imagine the problems if they doubled up? "No Andy, we agreed this with your mother yesterday. It's Brad's turn with the fleecy blanket tonight, but you can have Mr Fluffywuffles to cuddle instead. Don't cry, you love Mr Fluffywuffles. No, Andy, stop it. We don't bite Bradley. Now say sorry..."
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    The next step is retirement I reckon (although maybe back to Riis could do something).

The investigation against Riis has made him quit the dodgy practices so I'm not so sure.
  • RichN95.
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    The next step is retirement I reckon (although maybe back to Riis could do something).

The investigation against Riis has made him quit the dodgy practices so I'm not so sure.
    But as I've said, Andy's chief problem is his head and heart not his veins.
  • tuneskyline
    I think this years tour route would have given Andy a great chance of victory if he was back on top form.
    The cobbles he rode well before. The TT at the end of the race. It was almost made for him. Jokes aside I think it's a real shame and a waste of real talent. He is supposed to be targeting stage wins say Trek. I can't see him staying with the GC contenders on any of the stages, he has been way below par for quite a while :(
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

But as I've said, Andy's chief problem is his head and heart not his veins.

I'm sure it's mixture but I, personally, have little doubts as to what the main reason is. The lack of motivation and heart is a result this main reason.
  • tuneskyline
    So you all seem to think that Sky could not handle Andy and get him motivated? Or is it that Andy could not handle Sky and he basically would run away?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    So you all seem to think that Sky could not handle Andy and get him motivated?

Why would they even be minded to try?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tuneskyline
    So you all seem to think that Sky could not handle Andy and get him motivated?

Why would they even be minded to try?

That's the spirit,,,Jesus
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I don't see Sky as the kind of environment where someone like Schleck would thrive - I could be wrong but I can't see it. Got to agree with TWH too though - why would they be minded to try - it's been so long since Schleck was a real contender that the odds have to be against him regaining that kind of form.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Simply based on what we've seen in the last 2 seasons... never being in a break, falling off the back of the main peleton for heaven's sake... he's no better today than a young lad riding in the top flight for the first time. Lets be honest, the lads he's falling off the back of the peleton with are those who've done their turn on the front and are warming down for the following day's stage - and Andy thinks it's ok to fall off with them? It's also indicative that Frank also vapourised prior to his ban. So bottom line, Andy's head is mixed up and his legs have gone so it does look like retirement for him. Agree Trek have played a strange game keeping him on when it was clear all was not well in the engine room and that cost them a whole season at least.

Going to Sky would have changed nothing. Richie Porte is doing a better job as a worker for Froome than Andy could do racing as a lead man.

Brutal assessment but I believe it to be honest as well.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I think his ability levels were always very good, but his head (mental strength) and his weaknesses (descending and TT’s) were never fixed. His over reliance on his aging brother for the 1-2 attacks in the tour were also predictable. I’d suggest his levels have dropped since his injury in 2012, and his bottle (or will to push himself super hard) has gone. If he gets a single stage win via a breakaway then I’d say that was a success at this tour.

So in summary, if he was coached and mentored properly, had more mental strength, and better technical ability, he’d be ok. :)

Sky would not work for him. No way.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Lets say SKY took him on.

He would be expected to;
    Train under constant guidance, oversight and to structured plans
    Ride to team orders
    Ride races selected by the team management in order to meet performance goals
    etc,etc,etc

Which worked really well when he was expected to do this under The Hog (there was a thread at the time that generally concluded that this would do wonders for AS.....................it didn't!)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    he knows he'll never be able to top THAT stage of the 2011 Tour
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Reading this and othercurrent threads I can't help starting to picture owning a shiny new team with the following roster:
    Andy Schleck
    Bradley Wiggins
    Tyler Farrar
    Matt Goss
    Tom Danielson
    Thomas Dekker
    Thomas Lovkvist
    Brice and Romain Feillu

We'd have such a great time together
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Team manager: dennisn
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I've said it before, and still maintain that Mr Schleck has lost all motivation and all he's doing now is hogging one of what is a limited number of pro team places.

With the potential of Belkin's demise, these places are more valuable than ever so (just as in any team, including my sales team) under performers should be released quickly.

His issues appear to be both physical and mental and IMO he would be better off starting up a family bike shop in the middle of Luxembourg.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    RichN95 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    If it was solely down to that we would have seen more riders go the same way.

How quickly people forget Denis Menchov
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador and Andy battling it out both aggressive both stylish both ahead of the rest. Pure joy those days were.

article-1294396-0A6E31D5000005DC-923_634x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Jez mon wrote:

I think he needs Riis
    Well that's the man with the "Magic" since 1996 and his Band of Frauds at Deutsche Telekom that he has constantly waved his wand ever since for good results.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Not just Denis. Ivan, Damiano, Michele and a whole host of other people who regularly made top 10 but have since faded into relative obscurity.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    RichN95 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Not just Denis. Ivan, Damiano, Michele and a whole host of other people who regularly made top 10 but have since faded into relative obscurity.

Did you read Friebos's piece on O'Cunego? It was very good I thought. You wonder if he was always clean and only won the Giro by a bit of fluke - he was allowed to get time because he was on Gibo's team and no-one chased. Of course, he may have been doped for that win, but if he was I wouldn't be surprised if he has ridden cleanly ever since.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster