Rock shox SID not locking out

cheeky_chops
cheeky_chops Posts: 48
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a 2nd hand bike and was rather trusting after guy told me forks recently serviced... Its for a inexperienced friend so looks like im gonna be out of pocket :evil:

Forks are a rock shox SID and a fair few years old. The remote lockout clicks in and release via the button, but there is no retardation to the movement of the fork. Ive checked pressure and top/bottom are both 100psi. Quite happy stripping brakes, gears but these air shocks are new to me! Any advise on what to check and buy?

Is there any issue with using the fork like this? Friend is 9st female

31066932.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need to know exact model an year really.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Do it by hand and see what happens - i.e. move the blue lockout dial on the fork leg to max lockout by hand and bounce. Chances are its not moving far enough because the cable has slipped. It needs to pull 100% of the way round to lock.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    Do it by hand and see what happens - i.e. move the blue lockout dial on the fork leg to max lockout by hand and bounce. Chances are its not moving far enough because the cable has slipped. It needs to pull 100% of the way round to lock.
    Top man! Looks like the cable is slightly split too so needs replacing. Is it just a sram/shimano gear cable?

PS i have searched but cannot see any model number on them, just a pressure/weight chart
  • benpinnick
    Yeah just a regular 1.2mm cable.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Look on the back of the crown for the series of numbers and letters like this:

21T90026789

-- the first 2 numbers are the week of the year the fork was produced: 21st week
    -- 'T' ... never heard an explanation for that
    -- the next number is the last number of the year ... 9 --> 2009
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    If the cable does not work, it may just be the oil level in the lockout leg of the fork is low, you may get away with just topping it up with the correct type of oil
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • benpinnick
    Look on the back of the crown for the series of numbers and letters like this:

21T90026789

-- the first 2 numbers are the week of the year the fork was produced: 21st week
    -- 'T' ... never heard an explanation for that
    -- the next number is the last number of the year ... 9 --> 2009

T is probably factory location (i.e. Taiwan)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ive got about 50 allen keys but have i got one small enough for the lockout cable on top of the fork....
  • benpinnick
    2mm...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.