When to buy 2014 bike

steve_kay
steve_kay Posts: 197
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm currently looking at buying a second bike (currently have a 2014 Cube agree GTC SL). I think I've found the bike I want which is a Scott Foil 10 from Epic Cycles. When do the new 2015 bikes come out and how much are the previous seasons bikes discounted by? Just seems to make more sense if I wait a few months and save some money than buying now. Thanks in advance

Steve

Comments

• The new bikes start coming out around September so its around then the discounts on the 2014 models will start.Obviously it depends on a lot of different factors what the discount will be.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Roughly September. Bought my bike then with over 20% off.
  • steve_kay
    September it is then. To be honest, I don't actually need a new bike, just really want one. May even temp me to try racing
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Also in the market for a new bike, waiting until September / October as well.
    That said the wait is killing me!! I had my mind pretty much set on what I wanted, but having had too long to look at different options I'm now very confused - so confused I'm now swinging towards a 29er instead of a cyclocross bike.
  • steve_kay
    Yeah I'm the same. I was positive I wanted the Foil 10 but I've seen a few S-works venge 2012's going (brand new from specialized) for a very reasonable price so I'm going to have to stop looking or I'll drive myself mad
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't rely on the sales, they only discount the models they've got left - worth checking with the shop to make sure there's still some 2014 models and sizes available. If the distributors done their job right, they'll have very little left and therefore no need to offer a discount. Every year my employer runs bike to work at this time of year - the small number of bikes I'm interested in are usually sold out in my size and no stock until October. Evans are usually one of the first to discount, starting in August.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • steve_kay
    Thanks for the advice monty. I'd rather not have to buy second hand but I appreciate that the size options and availability drastically reduce at the end of the season
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Steve_kay wrote:
    September it is then. To be honest, I don't actually need a new bike, just really want one. May even temp me to try racing

A common problem...
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • If you've set your heart on that bike, through Epic, I wouldn't count on getting one in an end of season sale -they only sell ex-demo/display through ebay. Might be worth a call soon just to check what the current availability is in your size, many Foils are already sold out......
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I got a 2013 Foil 10 Sram Red from Westbrook for £3k which was half price. Luckily they had one my size, but it was only the 1 as after I'd ordered it was shown as no longer available.

I hadn't set my heart on any particular model until I saw the Foil, and if you're determined to get a specific bike it's a big risk waiting.
  • shanecl
    shanecl Posts: 15
    Steve_kay wrote:
    Yeah I'm the same. I was positive I wanted the Foil 10 but I've seen a few S-works venge 2012's going (brand new from specialized) for a very reasonable price so I'm going to have to stop looking or I'll drive myself mad

Where did you see these Steve. Would love a venge myself.
  • steve_kay
    shanecl wrote:
    Steve_kay wrote:

Where did you see these Steve. Would love a venge myself.

It's actually through specialized themselves. If you go on their website and look at the custom builds, you can see various options
  • anthigh
    anthigh Posts: 10
    bought this one recently, well worth it.

http://youtu.be/K2FH87qAUWU
  • steve_kay
    How much was it if you don't mind me asking?
  • anthigh
    anthigh Posts: 10
  • steve_kay
    That's a lot of bike for not a great some of money