Getting rid of old Specialized Sirrus

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm getting my new bike tomorrow, so will need to dump my trustly Spesh Sirrus Elite (2010). My missus wants me to sell it as opposed to take it to the dump, but I don't think it's really worth much at all.

It's been ridden a lot and looks a bit tattered, but has Shimano RS10 wheels, new brake pads, and has has been serviced regularly.

What's the form? Do I put this thing on Gumtree (next to all the stolen bikes) or what? anyone here want it?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Obvious thing would be to explain to the missus that you need to own more than one bike.

I'd suggest the classifieds forum here on bikeradar:
    viewforum.php?f=40108
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So you are considering throwing away a perfectly good four year old (how many miles?) bike? This nicely sums up what is wrong with the West.

If you don't think it is worth anything, put it on Freecycle or something similar. But, if you clean it and photograph it nicely and can say that it doesn't need anything doing to it, then you might be surprised how much it would make on Ebay. Look at completed listings of the bike to see what they tend to make.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How big is it and where are you based? My mate's missus is after something more suitable for longer rides than her Brompton. It'd go to a good home :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • BigLights
    Maybe that would be a good idea...I'll see.

It's got probably 20,000 miles under it now. A good, trusty steed.

I already have another bike!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My Missus wouldn't get rid of her Sirrus - she's now got 3 bikes so she can't complain at my 3 ... she wants a 4th though ...
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Rolf F wrote:
    So you are considering throwing away a perfectly good four year old (how many miles?) bike? This nicely sums up what is wrong with the West.

Oi! Move along, you beardy sandal-wearing lentil addict.

@OP: find a local canal. Chuck it in. If you want to make a day of it, find a couple of supermarket trolleys to keep it company.

(more seriously, ebay or BR Classifieds are the place. There are loads of people who'd be willing to snap it up; just keep your financial expectations realistic).
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Why is no one suggesting a funeral pyre?

Dowse it is WD40 and grab some matches, maybe do it in your front garden next to an abandonned sofa if you want to achieve a proper Benefits Street look.

Alternatively build a big wicker bicyle in which to entomb it before setting alight while dancing around it while chanting.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oi! Move along, you beardy sandal-wearing lentil addict.

Lentils? Food of the devil! Give me battery farmed cow meat any day!
    BigLights wrote:
    It's got probably 20,000 miles under it now. A good, trusty steed. I already have another bike!

I don't think anyone on here will understand where you are going with that last sentence......

20,000 miles? Almost brand new! This is my Ribble celebrating 20,000 miles!

P1000442ed_zps8d8f156d.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Being a Specialized it will probably fetch good money on EBay. They seem to be a name the great unwashed recognise and think of as top end. Well I suppose it is when compared to an Appollo.
    Just clean it and take good pictures, then describe it honestly including details of damage.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both my main bikes use 2006 frames, it's a spring chicken!

As V68 says, Spesh go for silly money, be honest with the condition and make sure it rides properly and you'll easily get over £100 for it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    What size and spec is it? Am sure someone round here would take it off you as a pub bike

Funnily enough, I too have an old Sirrus that may need to be retired...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Being a Specialized it will probably fetch good money on EBay. They seem to be a name the great unwashed recognise and think of as top end. Well I suppose it is when compared to an Appollo.
    Just clean it and take good pictures, then describe it honestly including details of damage.
    ...more seriously, ebay or BR Classifieds are the place. There are loads of people who'd be willing to snap it up; just keep your financial expectations realistic).
    eBay tip: start the auction off at 99p, you'll get loads of people thinking they'll get a total bargain, and many of those people still trying to "win" by the end, who wouldn't have got involved if you'd started it off at, say, £90. Also it's within eBay's rules that you can end the auction early for any reason with 24 (may be 12) hours to go if you feel there's not enough interest.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • BigLights
    Aaahah! I too have the same Ribble Gran Fondo as Rolf F! That, however, is my 'loved' bike, not my commuter. The new Secteur is for commuting/pub etc. with SPDs, not SLs.

I think dhope has first dips on this, folks, as he PM'd me.

Picking up new one this evening.
  • BigLights wrote:
    ... will need to dump my trustly Spesh Sirrus ...
    BigLights wrote:
    ... It's got probably 20,000 miles under it now...

Honestly boss I was just trying to help Biglights value his Miley Sirrus NSFW
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Sounds like an ideal winter bike to me, keep it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!