Crankset

gt5xcr
gt5xcr Posts: 77
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, what would be the better choice, a xt 44t crankset or a slx 48t crankset. Going to order soon so advice needed.

:? 5xcr
GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For what usage?
    The 42/44T crankset are for MTB XC use, the 48T ones are designed for trekking, most people rarely need more than 40T for MTBing and many people running 1x just have a 32T and rarely struggle. Don't forget the 28T set also only has a 28T granny ring making hill climbing harder versus the 22T on the 42/44T cranksets.

Of course you don't need to change the crankset just the rings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    Thanks for the reply. I use my bike to commute on and off road and when I'm off work for mainly xc. So I like the added speed and hill climbing capability a triple gives me over a double especially as I tend to ride mostly in the big ring.

So, I'll take your advice and get the xt 44t as I need a new bb anyway .

5xcr
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes if you are using on road you need at least a double, depends on where you ride whether that means a double will do or you need a triple, but if you have a triple now it's easier to stick with it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.