Shimano 105 der. compatibility with Tiagra shifters

Mehran
Mehran Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, could anyone help me to know whether the Shimano 105 RD-5700 is compatible with Tiagra shifters or not (4600) both same speed and specs. The Shimano documents say they are not, but I know that the 105 has different cable pull ratios than Tigra and I know that the 105 is much better, but I am trying to replace a bent Tiagra derailleur but without the 105 shifters since they are expensive for me, the 105 derailleur is not. For now, I just want a proper shifting. Will this upgrade give me as good shifting as my previous Tiagra, or worse or better?

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I've been using a 5700 derailleur with 4600 shifters for a year or so, for very much the same reasons, and because at the time the 5700 derailleur was actually cheaper. I've had no issues with it. The difference in cable pull applies more to the brakes if memory serves.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I run Tiagra 4600 shifters, 105 5600 rear derailleur and 105 5700 front derailleur - all work together fine. I know my rear derailleur is an older version of what your asking, but if the pull ratios allow my 5700 front to work fine I can't see how the rear wouldn't too.
  • Mehran
    Thank you for the quick responses, I really appreciate it. That's what I needed to hear
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    As an aside, I have 105 shifters with Tiagra mechs & it works fine.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    In what way do you think the 105 deraileur is better than the Tiagra? Most of the parts on these are the same!
  • Mehran
    I know that, it shows the interchangeability in the technical documents on Shimano website, but since 105 is better and cheap derailleur, plus I was thinking of upgrading to it in the near future (with the shifters), now that my Tiagra got bent, I have to buy it