California Coast Classic

hotwheels862
hotwheels862 Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Tour & expedition
I was looking for a multi-day cycling event that I could double as a vacation and also uses as an excuse to train and get in shape for. I ran across the Arthritis Foundation's California Coast Classic, which is an eight day 525 mile ride from San Francisco to Santa Monica and I wanted to see if there was anyone here that has done it in the past so I could get a better idea of what to expect and what I should train for. I sit at a desk most of the day and use the weekends to ride, so I am in pretty good same but I am not an animal.

This is what I could find on the ride - http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default ... nt=1087174

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    As no one has answered I can give you some info having ridden this route by motorbike a few times but never cycled. The scenery can be quite stunning for much of the ride, skirting the coast and going through a short stretch of thick forest at Big Sur. The wind generally blows south which is nice. There are no mountain climbs but as you can see from their website photos the road goes from near sea level to fairly high up and there are a few short steep climbs along the way and some sections can be very challenging. I've been there in Sept. the same time as your event and the temps have been as low as 5 deg. C early in the morning with heavy fog and are often in the 20 deg. range and sunny in the middle of the day although we have seen one of the warmest years on record here in California this year so you may have warmer temps. Most of this route is sparsely populated until you get near Los Angeles of course and which is not my favourite city but can be very interesting if you've never been there. I know nothing of this organization or how well it runs it's events but the route listed would be one of my first choices of rides to do. Hope this helps some.
  • kovlb
    kovlb Posts: 1
    I rode this stretch of the California coast as part of a solo self-supported trip from Vancouver in Canada to the Mexican border. That was in 2000 but I doubt it has changed very much. This is a great ride and often included among lists of the top ten classic drives / rides of the world. The road is fairly typical of a a coastline; going down to sea level where rivers come down to meet the sea, and then climbing again to the next headland. I was in my late 50's when I did the trip and new to cycling and to cycle touring so not the most athletic of individuals; but I found I could manage it on a touring bike without too much difficulty. I carried a tent (although I used it only once) and basic camping gear as well as clothing, etc so you shouldn't have any trouble doing a supported ride. The standard text at that time was "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" then into its third edition, but that is probably too detailed to be worth buying. There is loads of stuff on the web. Search for 'pacific coast California bike' and you will find numerous tour blogs and diaries. It was a great ride. I covered the California part of my trip in early September and I was told by locals on more than one occasion that it was a good time of year to be there. Enjoy the trip.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I've driven most of it, Santa Monica to Monteray. As mentioned a typical coastal road no huge climbs but up and down a lot. The Big Sur section (San Louis Obispo to Moneray) is very sparsley populated with not that many places to stay (we camped). You are going in the right direction as the other way South to North you are on the wrong side of the road to get the best views. Depending on when you do it it can get a bit busy with traffic as there are no other alternative roads. Many of these drivers may be looking at the view rather than where they are going.