Rear hub

chuckla
chuckla Posts: 132
edited June 2014 in Workshop
My rear hub is pitted (poor maintenance on my part!) I replaced the bearings and greased up, but it's still running like a bag of spanners!

The rim (mavic cxp22) is fine, now I know the cxp22 is not everyone's cup,of tea, but as a heavy rider, 19.5 stone, I've had no probs with popping spokes of ever needed any major truing, becaus of this and the fact that there is no major wear, I'm reluctant to scrap it and buy a new wheelset, if I replace, I'll buy a set.

Shimano 105 hubs are pretty cheap on chain reaction right now, looking for a wheel builder in South Wales who can put a new hub on this wheel for me, or is it really not worth it!?

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I think the rims are cheap enough that you might as well get a complete new wheel, even if it is on the same model rim.
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    I can hear what you're saying, but the rim and spokes are fine! A new wheelset seems pointless, but I have no idea of costs or know of any local wheel builders! I would give it to my LBS!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you replace the hub, you replace the spokes too, used spokes on a new hub will break in no time, especially with your load. Although it might be more expensive than getting a budget wheel, you should end up with a more robust product that should last. I would recommend DT Swiss Alpine 3 or DT Swiss Champion as spokes for you
    left the forum March 2023