Need advice for LE-JOG Solo Trip

LancerFQ
LancerFQ Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
Hi i am new here but not new to cycling, i am taking on LEJOG, completely solo in aid of 2 charities who have helped my best friend with his health problems, mainly sudden majority sight loss, i will be doing this over 2 weeks, not taking a direct route, the bike i am using will be a Giant Roam 1, and i have already got Altura Orkney 56 rear panniers and a Altura Dryline rack pack ordered, I'm looking for a handlebar bag that sits on top of the handlebars not out front so it doesnt risk damaging the hydraulic lines, i seen one made by giant a few weeks ago online but cannot for the life of me find it again, also all other feedback and suggestions for equipment considered, I'm camping all the way aswell so if anyone has suggestions on a good 1 man tent then feel free, sorry if this is alot to say in my first post haha

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Have a look in your local Tesco, they had tents for £10-15 when I wanted one. Ended up getting one from Sports Direct for a fiver in a clearance sale
    Both light and small (packed). Fibre glass pole type, but not a pop-up thing you throw on the floor
    Just remembered, I think Aldi or Lidl have a camping sale on now, or soon. Might be worth a look.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Dont go the 1 man tent route, find a light 2 man, 1 man tends to be very claustrophobic and if its pi$$ing it down when you pitch and have nowhere else to relax you will soon get fed up, the extra space or porch area is also invaluable if you are planning to cook, dry clothes or even just sit and read before bed.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Cheers for the bits of advice, my route i already have planned and its longer than the normal but im planning to take longer than normal anyway, my route is mainly so i can have photo opportunity with my friend who i'm doing the ride for. I know what you mean about the tent size situation, i borrowed a friends 1 man last week and rode from dundee-aberdeen-peterhead-inverness and back just to see what it would be like and i wasn't a fan, i have decided to go for a Vango Stelvio 200, i know it doesn't pack down small as most but since getting it I've been able to get used to it and can pitch it in a quarter time it says. I really do appreciate most of the folk on here's advice as I've only recently come from years of downhill riding to now doing all road riding
  • Wow thats a heavy tent to go touring with.
    I found the CTC forum fantastic for knowledge before doing my JOGLE - http://forum.ctc.org.uk/
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I would have recommended something from the Hilleberg range of tents (but they ARE expensive), but if you've already bought one.. (though you could easily ebay it to recoup your money). " man definitely, and a decent waterproof one, not a £5 Tesco job.

As to bar bag, you won't damage anything with an "out-front" bag.

As above, check Cyclechat and CTC sites and forums, and even YACF camping section.
  • By camping your needs are going to be very different from what mine were- but I have posted a review on my solo LeJog equipment on my blog.....might be something of help in there. I highly recommend the topeak tour guide min bar bag by the way.

http://claridgecyclingtocurecancer.com/lejog-equipment/
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I have posted a review on my solo LeJog equipment on my blog...

Similarly, there's a full list of the kit I took on the blog I set up - you'll be surprised how little you can get away with, although I did do B&B/hostels along the way rather than camping. Found that this gave me a nice target each day.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)