New bike Build - Component advice

concordi
concordi Posts: 16
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi all, I'm looking at getting a new bike for commuting/Auda/light touring. Tempted by a condor fratello however when assembling a bike of desired components on the bike builder, it seems rather expensive. I'm thinking have become comfortable with bike maintenance over the last few years, the satisfaction of building my own may be a good project. (any may save a few quid). Here is my list of components:

Bike Components:

Condor Fratello Frameset £600
Shimano 105 170mm 34/50 - 12-25 Cassette - 34.9mm FD £275.00 (Merlin Cycles)
Brake set (BR 650) £63 (Wiggle)
Shimano R501 £100 CRC
Tyres - Gatorskins (already have)
Fizik Arione £50 (Wiggle)
Tifosi carbon seat post £32 (Wiggle)
Deda Zero 1 Stem (black) £16 (Ribble)
Deda Rhm 01 Handlebars £15 (Ribble)
Fizik handlebar tape £9 (Total cycling)
2x Inner brake cable £5 CRC
Shimano road gear cable set £13 (Wiggle)

Assembled by condor
£1605

Self build:
£1178

Extras
SKS chromoplastics 25 (Tredz)
Tortek expadition ultrlight 25 (Evans)
Pedals (already have)

Are there any glaring errors in terms of compatibility you spot or any weak point that could be swapped out at the same price? (or any minor pieces of kit i've missed). Additionally I've never fitted a bottom bracket. From my reading the shimano units are more straight forward than alternatives, however, do I need to look at investing in a torque wrench? (or any other pieces of kit beyond the basic hex, philips, wrench I've needed so far)

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Offhand, you sill need a headset, ferrules for the cables, brake cable outers, seat clamp, a chain, shifters, mechs (unless I am missing those last two items on your list).

The build is simple, all that looks compatible offhand.

And yes to torque wrench, copper slip, carbon paste, some decent snips, access to headset and crown race press and decent hand tools so you don't mash it up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    I assume the frame comes with the forks/headset or are they extra? Does it have a threaded BB shell or is it press fit? Did not see a BB on your list BTW. If you already have some decent tools, I'd say do it as it's very satisfying to spec. your own bike and build it up.

As mentioned above, by a torque wrench if you don't already have one.

Take your time and don't be tempted to rush things and don't try to do to much in one session, plenty of tea breaks. There are posts on BR covering this subject as well as the usual YouTube videos, Park Tools website, GCN etc.
  • concordi
    From what I can see on the respective websites, the frame comes with fork and headset .(http://www.condorcycles.com/Audax-Commu ... e.tpl.html). Bottom bracket wise it states "BSA", do I need further information?

Also with a 105 bundle type thing (eg http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105 ... 51253.html), should have most of the components that you're mentioning missing? I note the link I've used is for braze on front mech, while the frame only accepts band on. I'll be sure to get band on, or get an adaptor.

Will a frame such as this need anything fancy in terms of rear mech hanger? Many thanks again for your help.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    (I have a fratello that I built up myself)

Frameset comes with a headset - condor branded unit. Seems pretty reliable, replaced headset bearings as the bearings got notchy at 25k km.

Rear mech hanger - steel innit? No need for a snap off hanger on steel.

When you go into condor to order the frameset, sit on their measuring jig and get stem length sorted. Then buy the stem from them - that way they will prep the frame and cut the steerer column perfectly to match the stem.

Lovely frameset, very comfy and plenty quick enough (I have ridden PBP, LEL etc. on it and it is currently in time trial guise ready for this weekend's national 24 hour championship). I like it so much, I now have a matching tempo frameset on order.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Quick look on the Merlin link for the groupset, and they allow a substitution on the brakes for 650s for an extra fiver. Makes it easy.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Tifosi carbon seatpost looks a bit wank. Get a matching deda post with two bolts.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Don't see any pedals on your component list so you need to factor that into your costings
    concordi wrote:
    Bottom bracket wise it states "BSA", do I need further information?

Means BB will be standard British threaded so any Shimano HT2 BB will suffice. 105 BB's are pretty cheap - under a tenner at CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... lsrc=aw.ds
    DJ58 wrote:
    As mentioned above, by a torque wrench if you don't already have one.

It's a steel frame with an alu steerer so if you want to save a bit you don't really need to spend on a torque wrench. Just be sensible about tightening things up.

Agree that your best purchase will be a set of good quality cable cutters. Nothing worse or more frustrating that getting frayed cables or chewed-up outers due to cheap and nasty cutters not doing the job.

Make sure you have a wooden or resin mallet to hand when fitting the crankset into the BB. In my experience the Shimano HT2 BB's are a pretty tight fit and can require some "persuasion" courtesy of your friendly mallet to get them to insert completely.

Have built up and alu and a carbon frame and have a Genesis Equilibrium frame sitting in the garage waiting for the components to be sourced. I will probably go for a mix of new and 2nd hand stuff sourced from the classified section on this forum. You can save yourself a bit more money that way if you really want to.
  • concordi
    Unfortunately they don't have any 650s in stock, so I'll need to get some deep drops separately. I'm sure I can sell on the standard brakes on though for a few quid after.

Realised I've forgotten the wheel hubs. Got to add the cash on for those! Planning on taking the pedals from my old bike to save some cash. Its a real clunker of a halfords carrera, that has be cycled in to the ground so there will be minimal canibalisation I think.

Heading to the shop next week to get measured. Exciting times. I'll keep you all posted.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    concordi wrote:
    Realised I've forgotten the wheel hubs. Got to add the cash on for those!

I think those R501s will have hubs in them.
  • concordi
    Bit of a resurrection of this thread, for a little bit more help.

All parts bar a few are ordered, however have come across a bit of a snag. I ordered the new 5800 105 groupset, and this subsequently meant the R501 wheels aren't compatible with 11 speed cassettes.

Any alternatives within the price region? I'm more interested in them surviving in the winter and having an at times heavy load (emergency trip to the supermarket) rather than being balls to the wall fast.
  • styxd
    Mavic Aksiums should do the job if you cant afford anything fancier.
  • Matthewfalle
    But aksiums are also pretty jack, so go looking behind the couch for some extras heckles for Kyseriums or look around and see what is on in the deals (Planet X always have some good deals on).

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • styxd
    Aksiums are decent wheels for the money.
  • Matthewfalle
    They are average and why settle for average when if you shop around you can have really good for the same money?

I've been lumbered with a couple of sets of Aksiums in my time. They're pretty jack.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • styxd
    They are average and why settle for average when if you shop around you can have really good for the same money?

What is really good for the same money :?:
  • Matthewfalle
    Aksum:£200 average across the web

Carbon zone 60mm carbons: £200

Eastons at CRC with Dura Ace hubs down from £650 to £299 and I'll give you the voucher code to bring them down even more. Be nice to me and I'll even get a mate in the Channel Isles to order them with the VAT off and the voucher code so they basically cost nothing.

Or some hand builts?

Next please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • styxd
    Aksum:£200 average across the web

Eastons at CRC with Dura Ace hubs down from £650 to £299 and I'll give you the voucher code to bring them down even more. Be nice to me and I'll even get a mate in the Channel Isles to order them with the VAT off and the voucher code so they basically cost nothing.

Next please.

do you take amex?
  • Matthewfalle
    Hoarse & Co bankers drafts only :)

It works out great: VAT off, voucher codes off free postage ..... Win win.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    concordi wrote:
    bike for commuting/Auda/light touring.

They sound... perfect.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited June 2014
    Perfect for commuting and light touring yes. I do both on mine with no problems at all.

Just because you're commuting doesn't mean that you have to ride a shonky pile o'shyyyyyyte with 15 lights, a Sam Brown belt and a GoPro.

My commute takes in some stunning coastal and country roads at quite a decent pace - I'm not going to ride Sora and Aksiums.

Next please.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Or go for some Ultegras at Merlin for £200.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.