Maxxis High Roller 2 or Minion DHF?

oxocube1
oxocube1 Posts: 651
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to put a new front tyre on the Mega and have narrowed it down to going for either a HR II 2.4" or a Minion DHF 2.5", both in the EXO 60a folding versions.

I currently run Minion DHF 2.35" front and rear but just want something a little wider on the front for a bit more grip. I tend to ride more gravity orientated trails on the bike i.e. Stile Cop, BPW, and the occasional trail centre. Has anyone tried one of or both tyres and had a preference? I'm not really looking at any others, just those two.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I prefer the High Roller 43a. I don't really like the 60a compound on wet rock. High Rollers are a better allround tyre than Minions.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Minion 2.5 60a front is a fairly safe bet for Stile Cop although more of heavy duty trail tyre, ideal if you're thinking of riding there from the other trails. The 3C is also pretty good but the different compounds give rise to some unusual characteristics which (for me) don't exactly inspire confidence. Sizing is 2.5" tall but less than 2.5" wide

Other tyres work better though on the hill. Schwalbe's Vertstar Big Betty and Muddy Mary are sensational although the tread doesn't last very long. Another one to consider is Specialized Butcher - good size, good feel, good price although the sidewalls are kind of fragile
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Butcher is pretty much the same as the Minion.