(Wide) road shoes c. £100 max

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all
Want to get some 3 bolt road shoes to replace current MTB soes (will get new pedals, natch!)
Have quite wide feet (UK 9 continental 43) and don't want to spend more than £100. One LBS sells Lake, other than that it's the 'net or travelling.
Recommendations?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Travel. You need your shoes to fit you properly and they'll last you years. Its worth a bit of time doing the whole Cinderella thing...

Specialized fit me and I have quite wide feet.
  • You should be able to pick up Bont Riot for that price they are pretty wide in standard stock, you can get wide fit Bont models but I don't think they do Riot just the dearer ones in wide and std. Lake do wide fits in some modes too.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Shimano R170 wide fit, touch over £100 :- http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r170-sp ... -wide-fit/

I have the standard fit (and they arent narrow as older Shimano shoes i've tried) in a 44 and i'm a UK9 in everything i buy normal shoe/trainer etc wise.
    Cheers, Stu
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Shimano wide fit shoes are decent. I've been using a pair of R087s for quite a while now. These may have been superceeded but they still do a wide fit model at a sub 100 price.
    I think I'm going to spoil myself and try Bont Vaypor Plus in wide fit next.
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    North wave are meant to be good. I went for sworks and they are great.
    D
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    all good suggestions, so just adding some (not inconsiderable) weight to the suggestions above...
    I also have wide feet, and struggled to find the right size and comfortable, the different sizes required in different brands is also a minefield, but I ended up with Bont Riot in a 44.5 , I was 43 in some others including the Assos G1 which are actually Lake, So I would assume Lake to be a nice forgiving fit in general and will definitely search out their high end shoes when I next buy a pair.

The Riot was pretty good out of the box, but had one tight spot related to the ratchet strap point... the heat moulding whilst a little scary meant that I could soften and ease that section out to get a virtually perfect fit.
    I am very happy with them.

clearly Bont Wide would have been the goto in the Vaypors etc. but after waiting over 3 months for them to come in to stock from Bont (import seem very sporadic and whatever Bont want to send) I had to try others.

The Vaypors are over your stated price range, but I would say despite the fact there will be shoes and good ones at that below the £100 mark, because of the importance of foot comfort, don't limit yourself to the £100 too strictly, in the interests of maybe finding the perfect fit in a more expensive shoe, however the prices do seem to jump from £100 up to £300 for the Top of the range shoes with out too much in between...

ref above I found the Shimano 87's like slippers but for some reason despite not feeling tight they gave me cramp just standing and sitting in them, (the cramp thing is me personally, I used to suffer with ski-boots the same, I guess I just have weird shape feet) But despite not the 'look' I wanted they felt great so cramp aside I would have had to buy them as they were so soft.
    S-works will be too expensive, but surprisingly I was considering the top s-works shoe too I guess as it's so supple and soft material it allowed my wide feet to spread, but they weren't perfect and too expensive for not perfect.. ;)
    but worth a try as they were a surprisingly forgiving shoe.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    Definitely try them on! I have wide feet and tried on quite a few pairs. In the end I got a pair of shimano 107s from merlin. Great fit and they do both 2 bolt and 3 bolt cleats!!
  • KnightOfTheLongTights
    KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2014
    Few months ago I got a pair of SiDI Genius 5 Pro Mega ('Mega' being their special wide fitting) from winstanleys for £100 (big reduction) and they are fantastic shoes. Like slippers, and no numbness at all.

I have very wide feet and actually got on OK with Specialized Comp Road shoes for a while in terms of fit, although do not like the dial tightening system. And I had to stick arch support insoles in them to prevent hotspots / numbness.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Dhb shoes, I have them as training shoes and they are wide on the feet, very comfortable as well, and highly rated in cycling plus