Dent in Ti Frame!

TheStone
TheStone Posts: 2,291
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Just noticed quite a large dent on the down tube of my Ti bike.
Might have been there a while, no idea.

Would it be safe? Is there anywhere I can take it to check?
exercise.png

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Post a photo? Unless there's a crease in the metal which could lead to a stress-raiser and then there's a risk that a crack could propogate I wouldn't worry. Unless you can see physical evidence of a crack, no need for any immediate action - simply keep an eye on it. Titanium is tough stuff - I have three ti frames - road, CX and MTB - fist-sized flints were bouncing off my downtube on a recent ride along the Southdowns plus I have a 10-year old ti MTB fork that has seen all sorts of abuse - you can see it flex a fair bit on downhills
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The downtube is in tension so the tube won't collapse on you when riding. Depending how close it is to the bottom bracket will depend on how much lateral load it resists during pedalling. This would be what would worry me and I would keep a regular check on it for creasing and cracking.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Titanium does have high notch sensitivity, which means that a dent is more likely to end up developing a crack than in e.g. steel. I would therefore check it ocassionally, but it's probably fine.