Tallest towers ,,,,awesome

tuneskyline
tuneskyline Posts: 370
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Going to build them in China.

The two towers represent two Chinese Phoenix - a male Feng and female Huang with the Feng tower using sustanable technology to power not only itself but also the Huang tower as well.

To accomplish this pretty astonishing boast the Fengwould be packed to the peak with solar panels, a giant windmill at the top and other technological greenery, all in the name of reflecting Wuhan's new status as "an environmental city of the future".

o-CHETWOODS-570.jpg?6

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    So it will be covered in solar panels and have a giant windmill on top? And look nothing like the picture then...

What is the purpose? Residential? Industrial? They look mostly hollow from the pics.

As for the architecture, they look like fantasy cartoon buildings. Not exactly pushing any design boundaries.
  • tuneskyline
    I thought it looked quite exciting,,,,,,like space buildings from the future
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Looks a bit dumb to me, like most of Dubai.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Well I hope the lifts don't breakdown :shock:
    Imagine try get out of there in a hurry...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    nathancom wrote:
    Looks a bit dumb to me, like most of Dubai.
    It looks like an artist's impression of something that will never be built.
    Mainly because that is what it is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I think they are exactly what the world needs right now and no expense should be spared building them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Rob Somerset
    Rob Somerset Posts: 127
    Obviously China has now fixed all of the countries poverty and human rights problems so can waste money as it pleases. As for Dubai, that nathancom mentioned.. some people go there on holiday... a concrete montrosity located in a sandy oven, why would anyone want to go there?
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I think they are exactly what the world needs right now and no expense should be spared building them.

Genius.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    As for Dubai, that nathancom mentioned.. some people go there on holiday... a concrete montrosity located in a sandy oven, why would anyone want to go there?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    As for Dubai, that nathancom mentioned.. some people go there on holiday... a concrete montrosity located in a sandy oven, why would anyone want to go there?

+1, a truely awful and tasteless place !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Monkeypump wrote:

What is the purpose?

To give James Kingston and Mustang Wanted and all those other nutters somewhere new to climb!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Why is the girls' tower bigger?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • tuneskyline
    MattC59 wrote:

I agree with that. I have no desire to visit. But I was thinking those towers look futuristic and quite colourful .
    I would Imagine China could afford them. I doubt they would rather send us some cash so we can sort out the NHS.
    If only the wealthy would spread their financial joy....ah well
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    MattC59 wrote:

My brother has lived out there (actually now in Qatar) for a while and doesn't understand why I'm not rushing out there at every opportunity. It's a truly dreadful place, full of VTech-alikes.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    MattC59 wrote:

I agree, no desire to go there at all. A couple of my friends have worked there, short term, and hated it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Those are just yet more 'our willy is bigger than your willy' towers. A bit juvenile really.

And as for Dubai - what is the point? I just don't get it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Dubai, no thanks. And Las Vegas - America's desert monstrosity, pass on that too thanks. I'll stick with the green peak district by bicycle.
    tick - tick - tick
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Rolf F wrote:
    Those are just yet more 'our willy is bigger than your willy' towers. A bit juvenile really.

And as for Dubai - what is the point? I just don't get it!
    What he said. Just don't tell VTech.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Wuhan:

A city funded by debt
    Majority of the skyscrapers are empty, bought by the rich as an "investment" as property prices soar
    The average wage within the city is something like (don't quote me exactly) £6k
    The average wage of one of these city flats is something like (again, don't quote me exactly) £300k

On the other hand, you can always go to Dubai to go ski on the worlds biggest indoor "real snow" ski slope!!!!!!!
  • lone wheeler
    lone wheeler Posts: 163
    We love living here in Dubai, each to their own.
  • rolf_f
    We love living here in Dubai, each to their own.

What is the attraction of living in an ugly shopping centre in a very harsh climate?!
  • lone wheeler
    It's what you want to make of it. My wife and I both work, our son is at school and we are earning very very good money which we are saving to bad able to buy a place in France for our future. Been here four years and would like to stay for another ten as long as we are still happy.

Yes the weather is hot, very hot but other things more than make up for the inconvenience.
  • rolf_f
    Yes the weather is hot, very hot but other things more than make up for the inconvenience.

But what?! Must be more than the money. You can get good compensation for being wrongly sent down for 15 years but I'd prefer just to live somewhere nice for that time and not have the compensation!
  • lone wheeler
    I'm not going to be dragged into an argument, as I said, it's each to their own. We enjoy the weather for 8 months of the year, we will be able to buy a nice place with cash within the next 12 - 18mths and then add to our retirement pot, We enjoy fantastic holidays as living here means it's not too far from places that would seem to far when we lived in the UK (travelling with a 5 year old anyway!). We do miss the seasons, family & friends but luckily we see a lot of them when they come to visit. Apart from that, we don't really miss the UK apart from enjoying the odd English sunny day and cold snowy winters (until the snow turns to black slush). However, earning money is an integral part of our plan in setting us up for later in life and if we have to put up with temperatures that feel like you're in an oven for a few months of the year then we'll survive. Off to the pool now to cool down as our little one tries out his new water pistol! :0)

As this is also a cycling forum, I really miss riding on UK country roads, that's something that I miss a lot. I miss racing and I miss riding my bike in the unpredictable weather of the UK. There has been millions of Dirhams spent here in the last two years and we now have a fantastic facility consisting of a purpose built cycle lane / track that goes right out into the desert. It's a 85k loop which when you ride it the first few times is a nice novelty however after a while it's boring as hell with only dunes and the odd bit of wildlife to pass the time by. The cycling scene here is growing all the time. On a Friday morning there are organised rides on said track with groups setting off at different intervals according to level's of ability and distance etc. There must be about 350 riders turning up most weekends and there are evening rides too.
  • pblakeney
    Sacrificing today for tomorrow seems to be a plan.
    It is a plan that I have heard quite a few times.
    Unfortunately those same people are still working at the plan as tomorrow never seems to come.

Each to their own. I would rather plan for the future but enjoy the present.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lone wheeler
    We are enjoying the present, very much so and we certainly aren't making sacrifices. It feels good to be planning for the future and doing something to make sure we enjoy that day when it comes and the now. I agree that moving out to a foreign country isn't for everybody but for us it has worked out well and long may it continue.
  • pblakeney
    ......We do miss the seasons, family & friends .....apart from enjoying the odd English sunny day and cold snowy winters....... and if we have to put up with temperatures that feel like you're in an oven for a few months of the year then we'll survive. .... I really miss riding on UK country roads, that's something that I miss a lot. I miss racing and I miss riding my bike in the unpredictable weather of the UK......85k loop which when you ride it the first few times is a nice novelty however after a while it's boring as hell with only dunes and the odd bit of wildlife to pass the time by.....
    Too many compromises for me, especially the bit in bold, but as long as you are happy.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lone wheeler
    I don't miss the seasons enough to contemplate leaving just yet! We are fortunate enough to be able to holiday enough in different places to get to see plenty of snow & rain etc. I paid for Mum and Dad to come out here in May for 10 days and I'll be back in the UK next week for a few days to sort a new passport and catch up with mates and other family members.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I'm not going to be dragged into an argument, as I said, it's each to their own. We enjoy the weather for 8 months of the year, we will be able to buy a nice place with cash within the next 12 - 18mths and then add to our retirement pot, We enjoy fantastic holidays as living here means it's not too far from places that would seem to far when we lived in the UK (travelling with a 5 year old anyway!). We do miss the seasons, family & friends but luckily we see a lot of them when they come to visit. Apart from that, we don't really miss the UK apart from enjoying the odd English sunny day and cold snowy winters (until the snow turns to black slush). However, earning money is an integral part of our plan in setting us up for later in life and if we have to put up with temperatures that feel like you're in an oven for a few months of the year then we'll survive. Off to the pool now to cool down as our little one tries out his new water pistol! :0)

As this is also a cycling forum, I really miss riding on UK country roads, that's something that I miss a lot. I miss racing and I miss riding my bike in the unpredictable weather of the UK. There has been millions of Dirhams spent here in the last two years and we now have a fantastic facility consisting of a purpose built cycle lane / track that goes right out into the desert. It's a 85k loop which when you ride it the first few times is a nice novelty however after a while it's boring as hell with only dunes and the odd bit of wildlife to pass the time by. The cycling scene here is growing all the time. On a Friday morning there are organised rides on said track with groups setting off at different intervals according to level's of ability and distance etc. There must be about 350 riders turning up most weekends and there are evening rides too.

The problem you have is that this forum doesn't seem to be equal to the world as I have seen it.
    In my world, the people I meet and work with try their best to get a better standard of living. They work hard to afford the best things in life yet here you WILL be ridiculed for it.
    The issue I have is as you said earlier "each to his own". It simply doesn't exist here.

I am happy with people who will happily do a 9-5 week in week out and then post here about how happy they are that Friday has arrived and how sad they are that Monday has arrived but in a different post biatch about someone who works to be able to afford not to worry about how often get work.

Also, almost all of these people who negatively comment have either never been to dubai or the Middle East or have only been to the tourist sections.

Small things like not having to worry that when you get home some low life has broke into your house.
    Not having to worry about safety as you go home from the mall.
    Safe in the knowledge that your health and the kids schooling is first rate.

I hope you get that house and the cars and all the power to you. Negative comments here will only be able to bother you for a second or two. The minute you get your kids shook grades or pop the garage door will be the best antidote to the haters.

Remember this: if you follow everyone else, how can you expect to have a better life than average. How can you expect better things to happen to you !
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    VTech wrote:
    ...something along the lines of ....assumes that not liking Dubai equals not wanting success....
    Your assumption is wrong.
    Each to their own but people's tastes vary regardless of success.
    Veronese68 wrote: