5 Speed Help L'Eroica!

shane r
shane r Posts: 326
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi All

I've picked up a beast of an old bike for the L'Eroica this weekend. Although most of it is serviceable the chain is knackered. I popped out to an LBS and they insist that I would be crazy to swap the chain without swapping the freewheel- although I think the freewheel appears ok (I didn't have the bike with me to show them).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Shane
Coupla Road Bikes

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just swap the chain, see if its works OK. If not, you also need to swap the reewheel/cassette. Nothing lost.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    Fair point. I can just try that.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They're probably right though - if the chain is knackered then the teeth on the cassette will be worn too - so a new chain will slip.

If it's really bad the chainrings will be done too.

Is the chain really knackered? Not just rusty and stiff but actually broken? Because if it's not I would just soak it in oil and then it will all be as worn as each other so will mesh okay.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    5 speed chains and freewheels last for decades. It's not like flimsy modern crap.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yeah, get a Shimano HG 50 for 6 quid and happy days, I use those for my 6 speeder
    left the forum March 2023
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I installed new chain, and old 5-speed freewheel 'popped & jumped'. Put on a less worn (not new, but what I had ...) freewheel and all is well.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA