New member: bought a Tarmac SL4 sport

mangetout_rodney
mangetout_rodney Posts: 121
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to road biking- just bought a Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport a couple of days ago, it arrives later this week.
I am coming over from mountain biking- I did the London to Brighton last year on my MTB and decided to get into road bikes intended to do the LtB this year, although it didn't quite go to plan.
I spent a bit of time checking bikes out- I was intending on getting a CAAD8 but decided on getting a carbon frame and I liked the look of the Specialized.

Sigma Sport in London have been great in helping me get what I want- the fitting really helped I think.
Looking forward to getting out on the new bike.

Comments

• Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Nice choice of bike.... 8)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Nice choice!
    Welcome to the Specialized Needz club!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Thanks chaps- yes I think it will do me for quite a while.

Shamefully, I am already looking at what upgrades I might do down the line. ;)
  • Colinthecop
    And it's customary to post pics so we can all drool and admire your purchase....
  • And it's customary to post pics so we can all drool and admire your purchase....

Will do, as soon as I get it.
    In the meantime here is my gorgeous 8 year old English Bulldog, Scarlett O'Hairy.

1782530_479413795521740_44272561_o.jpg
  • Colinthecop
    Is that a crack above your skirting board....?

I'm a time served plasterer - if you want that sorted. 8)
  • Is that a crack above your skirting board....

I'm a time served plasterer - if you want that sorted. 8)

LOL- no it is just a mark on the paint.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Is that dog alive?
    I'm a qualified taxidermist-if you want that sorted.
  • New member hazing, is it? ;)

94022694-hazing.jpg
  • Colinthecop
    Yeah, we want you to feel loved so you hang around and post lots.

8)
  • Colinthecop
    LMFAO - yip, that's what's needed here....

:shock:
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    And it's customary to post pics so we can all drool and admire your purchase....

Will do, as soon as I get it.
    In the meantime here is my gorgeous 8 year old English Bulldog, Scarlett O'Hairy.

1782530_479413795521740_44272561_o.jpg

Nice dog. Bulldogs are great!
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • OOOOOH, it is ready- and a day early.

Off I go to Kingston to pick it up and ride it home.
    Already done 3 hours on a motorcycle today, up around Box Hill.
    Going to be sore tomorrow.

Pics when I have them...
  • Well, that was eventful.
    I have to forget everything I think I know about riding.
    It is completely different.

I kept reaching for the brakes as I would on the mountain bike, only nothing was there.
    Riding position is so, so different.
    To be honest I'm not sure I made the right decision- I have a massive pain in my neck and my wrists ache.
    Does this settle down?

The good:

So light, so flickable
    Very responsive
    Great gearing- spent most of my time on the large front cog, switching between the 10 gears on that cog.
    Fast- I found myself going faster than I normally would with less effort.

The bad/not sure:

The position is very low- maybe I need some spacers?
    I'm too fat and slow for it- but I'll sort that out
    Brakes are not great compared to a mountain bike- I guess that is part of it but I think I will be upgrading the brakes on it very soon.
    Neck/shoulder pain
    I'm worried I might fail to brake in an emergency.

The pics:

10365641_526870020776117_5730011173919154082_o.jpg

10473327_526870294109423_3153390752330364402_o.jpg

10497054_526870664109386_5550665521494625091_o.jpg

(Yes, I know the pedals are shit- I'm replacing them once I'm used to the riding position)
    On the whole, very happy.
    I have a lot of work to do though to get comfortable on it.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Bike looks good and yes road brakes are shite compared to mountain bike brakes, you'll get used to it :lol:

Doesn't look like you am raise the stem any further as its already at the top of a stack of spacers so the lower position and the neck pains are just things that will become better over time as you get used to a different riding position.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Colinthecop
    My neck pain went when I discovered you're meant to remove the visor from your helmet when on a road bike... Meaning I didn't have to stretch as much.

:roll:

Wait until you get back on your mountain bike and be amazed and how good brakes on a bike can be... :lol:
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    That's a 4 position stem, the combination of flipping it and twisting the inner metal sleeve 180 degrees gives you the four positions. Right now it'll be on the second lowest so you can flip it and raise it up. If you aren't sure get the shop to do it, though it's not hard you do have to get the alignment right and torque it up correctly. The brakes will need bedding in, but you can make them better by changing the blocks to swiss stop or similar.
    You'll want to change the wheels eventually as they are v heavy and have some flex, though I think the stock tyres are surprisingly decent.
    The frame is a beautiful thing on the tarmac, so you've made an excellent investment for the long term :-)
  • Initialised
    Specialized tyres are very good, shame they skimped on the brakes. A pair of these should sort it out:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 5360583947

They are probably the best road rim brakes available without going hydraulic.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Specialized tyres are very good, shame they skimped on the brakes. A pair of these should sort it out:

I'd change the blocks first before shelling out for new callipers. I have the same bike and they really aren't that bad (though the Ultegras look a whole lot nicer).
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    The Tarmac is the more race orientated frame from Specialized so no wonder it feels low coming from an MTB. Did you not get advice on what to buy? A Roubaix might have been a better option. If you are stuck with it with no chance of a swap then consider having a bike fit. A Tarmac would not be my first choice of road bike unless I was pretty fir and flexible to begin with. Perhaps you were mis-sold?
  • mangetout_rodney
    mangetout_rodney Posts: 121
    edited June 2014
    The Tarmac is the more race orientated frame from Specialized so no wonder it feels low coming from an MTB. Did you not get advice on what to buy? A Roubaix might have been a better option. If you are stuck with it with no chance of a swap then consider having a bike fit. A Tarmac would not be my first choice of road bike unless I was pretty fir and flexible to begin with. Perhaps you were mis-sold?

It wasn't a mis-selling.
    I did have a fitting and I made the choice to go for a racer- so I have myself to blame if it doesn't work out.
    I wasn't quite prepared for how low it is but after a couple of hours on it today (I'm on holidays) I feel I am getting used to it.
    It is just about getting bike fit, eh?

I'm getting it raised up a tad which should help a bit.

I'm fairly fit already- although holding more mass than a lot of hardcore cyclists- my flexibility isn't amazing but I'm not bad for a bloke in his 40's.

I felt much the same going from a naked motorcycle to a sports bike- I got used to it... eventually.
  • Specialized tyres are very good, shame they skimped on the brakes. A pair of these should sort it out:

Cheers,
    I was looking at those and the 105 callipers.
    What advantage to the Ultergra have over the 105 (at double the price)?
  • Initialised

Cheers,
    I was looking at those and the 105 callipers.
    What advantage to the Ultegra have over the 105 (at double the price)?

The 6700s, nothing but weight, the 6800 have a different design for more power and modulation.
  • First properly long ride today (for me).
    Did 30 miles all up.
    I think I'm used to the geometry now, without any adjustments.
    I just need to do some stretching beforehand and take it easy- I will get faster as time goes by.

This bike is good- it is SO precise, even with the shite wheels I have now.
    I'm totally converted to road racers- Why did I wait this long to try them.
    Going for some clipless pedals and shoes next week.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    .... the 6800 have a different design for more power and modulation.

Bullshitometer going to peak overload! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shmooster wrote:

I'd change the blocks first before shelling out for new callipers. I have the same bike and they really aren't that bad (though the Ultegras look a whole lot nicer).

Both wrong. Just get new pads (Swissstop green or something) :roll:

Not a lot of point getting new callipers and even if you do they will still need decent pads.

Money would be far better spent on decent tyres anyway.................then wheels :wink:
  • Oi you lot!
    If you're going to spend my money for me, can you at least bloody agree on where to spend it?

:mrgreen:
  • A 30 miler today.
    Have I said how much I love this bike?
    Went out with some people who I usually ride with and I was at the front of the pack the whole way, rather than at the back.
    Or last.
  • Initialised
    Oi you lot!
    If you're going to spend my money for me, can you at least bloody agree on where to spend it?

:mrgreen:

No!

Glad you're enjoying the new bike, don't worry about upgrading anything until it wears out/breaks or you find it limiting or you find a bargain.