Gearing!

itsrob
itsrob Posts: 95
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Good morning,
Ive been doing some reading up on the old thread for gearing, but have a few questions.
I used to do a lot of cycling, then ran for quite a few years, then have come back to it.
Bought a shiny new bike, and all has been great.
However went to the dales and did some of the TDF route and was really struggling on a couple of the hills. If it goes steep I have to get up out the saddle from the off, if it goes long I'm Effed! One of my mates was running a big cassette and went up smoothly with a high cadence.

So Here is my set up,
53/39 up front on sram red

12-25 on the back with a short medium Force rear mech

Here are my options (getting fitter is assumed also)
I think I can change to a 12-28 cassette for the lumpy stuff - this is cost effective but I dont know if it would make much difference?
Change the derailler and the chain and the cassette - Sram do a climbers kit but expensive although would definitely work
Pick up a chainset in compact size - Ok if the right price, expensive if new
IS there an option for changing that inner chainring? would it have to be Sram only?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Oh and if anyone is thinking about riding the route - do it, the villages look amazing!

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    itsrob wrote:
    53/39 up front on sram red
    12-25 on the back with a short medium Force rear mech

A standard double with a close ration cassette, small wonder you're struggling.

39/25 = 1.56 lowest gear. Many bikes have 34/28 as the lowest so for comparison 34/28 = 1.21
    I think I can change to a 12-28 cassette for the lumpy stuff - this is cost effective but I dont know if it would make much difference?

It would make a difference so it's worth doing anyway, 39/28 = 1.39.
    Pick up a chainset in compact size - Ok if the right price, expensive if new

I think changing to a compact with 50/34 and a 11-28 cassette would be the best option. Check out the listings on this site, you should be able to pick one up second hand, and then sell on your standard.
    IS there an option for changing that inner chainring? would it have to be Sram only?

You might be able to but it would then make a massive jump between your big and little rings.
    Oh and if anyone is thinking about riding the route - do it, the villages look amazing!

I'm thinking of doing it this Sunday! Which are the best bits? BTW my lowest is 34/30 = 1.13 ;)
  • itsrob
    34:30 you'll have a good day!

Thanks for replying, I'll pick up a cassette in the short term, Its only when in the dales I really struggled although I'm sure my climbing would improve if I sat down a lot more. I'll also have a look at the compacts.

We went out from low row, through reeth (swaledale marathon was on so it was very busy) up grinton moor, that was alright wound our way down towards kettlewell, which was buzzing with cyclists, out of kettlewell was a bit tricky, it had got a little windy and rained as we were going up out of there. Aysgarth there is a back route for light vehicles, nice surprise to see the 17% sign there, but that one was the right length to be out the saddle in the bottom gear. HAd a stop at aysgarth, then buttertubs, which is frankly evil! Very steep at the start and a false summit (I have to confess I told myself to stay on to the top and got there to see it was a false summit, lost momentum and had to push to the top of the steep bit.) Then that winds and goes up across the moors. Descent was really good, my mates race motorbikes and leave me miles behind on the downs, I could see enough of their lines below to go for it a bit
    All the villages have the yellow bikes on the buildings, loads of banners and bunting, yellow road closed 5 July all across the route, there is a real sense that 'something' is coming! I want to go back up before the tour, but running out of weekends!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Did the first stage of TDF last week and it was great
    I use 39 up front and an 11-28 cassette and find this a really good set up. In fact tends to be my default set up these days after previously riding 11-25.
    One of the guys I was with had a 25 on the back and despite being quite fit he found it tough

There was nothing on the first stage that couldn't be ridden relatively easily with the 28
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Having a 28 will make a big difference; 39x28 is really pretty low and will see you up a good few hills. To a certain degree it's a matter of fitness - even 39x25 is pretty low in comparison to gearing commonly used even into the mid 90s and this was before compacts took hold - but you can of course swap cassettes around depending on what rides you're doing.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    A compact is probably he best solution except that it may be rather pricey. If 39×28 isn't a small enough gear (it wouldn't be for me on some of my usual routes) then another possible option would be to replace the rear derailleur with the SRAM Wifli option and you could then use something like a 32 tooth biggest sprocket which, paired with a 39 chainring is a very similar gear to a 28 tooth sprocket with a compact 34 chainring - this is enough for most people on most hills.
    I haven't checked prices but I think this would be cheaper than replacing the chainrings and getting a 28 cassette.
  • itsrob
    Thanks for the help.
    Just looked further at the WIFLi jobby - the climbers kit - there is a note on it saying that it is for compacts only!

So the easiest way for now is to get a 28 cassette, and get a bit fitter as well!
  • ai_1
    itsrob wrote:
    Thanks for the help.
    Just looked further at the WIFLi jobby - the climbers kit - there is a note on it saying that it is for compacts only!....
    Ah, I didn't realise that. Sorry for the dodgy advice! :oops:
  • markhewitt1978
    You might be able to fit a 12-30 cassette which would help even further.
  • itsrob
    Just re-read that and it sounded arsey! It wasnt meant at you Al - I'd put it forward as an option up top, and I think its a flaw that it only suits compacts
    I'm going to order a 28 anyways I dont think I'll be back to the tour route while after it but plenty of hills closer that would suit a 28, maybe weekend after this one
  • ai_1
    itsrob wrote:
    Just re-read that and it sounded arsey! It wasnt meant at you Al - I'd put it forward as an option up top, and I think its a flaw that it only suits compacts
    I'm going to order a 28 anyways I dont think I'll be back to the tour route while after it but plenty of hills closer that would suit a 28, maybe weekend after this one
    No bother - Didn't think you were being arsey!

I don't know why it wouldn't work with a standard double since the total tooth differences are no greater than a compact and I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't work but if they say it won't then there's probably something to it!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Can't think why it won't work, its just there's little point fitting the Wifli setup to a standard chainset when you can go compact & 12-28 more "easily".
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • markhewitt1978
    I wouldn't rule out getting a compact, it's not that difficult to change and not that expensive if you sell your standard.

That being said it would be wise to try the 28T first.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I wouldn't rule out getting a compact, it's not that difficult to change and not that expensive if you sell your standard.

That being said it would be wise to try the 28T first.

Yep - first change the cassette to a 28 or 30 and then if you still need lower gears look at a compact chainring.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Ive been looking at compact cranksets, ive always ridden a double with the same ratio to you. Ive recently changed to a 13-29 on the rear, and i find i can now spin up most things. So far ive not found myself mashing too much, and certainly not as much as on 39-25 lowest gear! Highly recommend changing the rear cassette first, much cheaper too.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group