Belkin out

Comments

• jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Pross wrote:
    I thought there was some sort of Pro Tour licence requirement for sponsors to put up a sort of bond to cover their commitments until the end of their deal or have I imagined that? I thought that was how we ended up with Blanco prior to Belkin.

It's really odd, cycling is cleaning up and the recession is over / easing in most countries and yet two teams who have had good seasons are losing their sponsor. For all the criticism some teams get at least their funding is more stable. I agree that it needs an Eccleston figure to sort out the marketing of the sport.
    There is a 'bond' in place with the national federation and UCI to ensure continued running of teams, yes.

The problem is the same with any sport - you only see the benefits as a sponsor if your team is at the top of it's game. The question is, are you really going to go and buy a Belkin router for your home just because you see their name on a kit? The return for a sponsor like Belkin is likely not as great as it is for many other sponsors, which is a real shame.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    JSCL wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I thought there was some sort of Pro Tour licence requirement for sponsors to put up a sort of bond to cover their commitments until the end of their deal or have I imagined that? I thought that was how we ended up with Blanco prior to Belkin.

It's really odd, cycling is cleaning up and the recession is over / easing in most countries and yet two teams who have had good seasons are losing their sponsor. For all the criticism some teams get at least their funding is more stable. I agree that it needs an Eccleston figure to sort out the marketing of the sport.
    There is a 'bond' in place with the national federation and UCI to ensure continued running of teams, yes.

The problem is the same with any sport - you only see the benefits as a sponsor if your team is at the top of it's game. The question is, are you really going to go and buy a Belkin router for your home just because you see their name on a kit? The return for a sponsor like Belkin is likely not as great as it is for many other sponsors, which is a real shame.

But if we assuming the people within Belkin who make the sponsorship decisions aren't stupid, they would have known that they may suffer a poor(ish) return.

My completely uneducated guess, is that they either a) wildly overestimated the exposure, or b) had someone fairly high up the chain who loved cycling and has now vacated the company.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Just got to see the new Amstel alcohol free radler advert this evening starring Laurens Ten Dam being Laurens Ten Dam and thus awesome. Belkin basically get totally free advertising as he's riding along in a Belkin kit drinking Amstel radler. I'm not sure your likely to do association buying, you can't buy a router in the local supermarket but still...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    Just got to see the new Amstel alcohol free radler advert this evening starring Laurens Ten Dam being Laurens Ten Dam and thus awesome. Belkin basically get totally free advertising as he's riding along in a Belkin kit drinking Amstel radler. I'm not sure your likely to do association buying, you can't buy a router in the local supermarket but still...
    I wonder if Amstel could get involved as a sponsor. An alcohol free line could be a way to get around countries (particularly France) which ban alcohol advertising for sport.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    After a couple of years of exposure the impact wears off. Garmin are a bit different as they're products are cycling related. But it's not really a surprise sponsors only last a couple of years. It might just be a business decision and not one related to drugs as some mentioned on the previous page.

I used to work in sales/marketing and my MD showed me a trade paper he'd been getting monthly for about 15 years, the same company had held the back page position for the whole time and the advert had never changed (apart from phone numbers, the addition of email/web address!). It was completely wasted advertising budget as no one ever took notice of the ad.

I think most long term sponsors have some kind of sugar daddy with an interest at the helm or provide some kind of hospitality opportunity (Formula 1, football club/matches). Bar giving your customer a drive around in the car with the DS at a race the hospitality options are limited without having to put your hand in the pocket again (like CSC who booked out a hotel in Alpe d'Huez last time I was there) - unless you become sponsor of a race.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    hammerite wrote:
    After a couple of years of exposure the impact wears off. Garmin are a bit different as they're products are cycling related. But it's not really a surprise sponsors only last a couple of years. It might just be a business decision and not one related to drugs as some mentioned on the previous page.

I used to work in sales/marketing and my MD showed me a trade paper he'd been getting monthly for about 15 years, the same company had held the back page position for the whole time and the advert had never changed (apart from phone numbers, the addition of email/web address!). It was completely wasted advertising budget as no one ever took notice of the ad.

I think most long term sponsors have some kind of sugar daddy with an interest at the helm or provide some kind of hospitality opportunity (Formula 1, football club/matches). Bar giving your customer a drive around in the car with the DS at a race the hospitality options are limited without having to put your hand in the pocket again (like CSC who booked out a hotel in Alpe d'Huez last time I was there) - unless you become sponsor of a race.

That may be true, but depending on the cost, the company may see it differently. By ceasing to occupy the space they leave it open to a major competitor who may exploit it and as a result make itself more competitive, leading to reduced business for the original company. While some communication is aimed at generating new business this is not exclusive as some is about retaining existing customers through reinforcement or reducing opportunities for competitor activity. The same situation occurs with sponsors.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Asking for 10 euros a pop from fans. Never seen this sort of thing before.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/belkin- ... ponsorship
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    It was how the Euskadi team was funded before Euskaltel came on board as a main sponsor.

Some of you may also remember iteamNova, started by Giro stage winner David McKenzie, which had a similar funding model. It failed.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    lyn1 wrote:

That may be true, but depending on the cost, the company may see it differently. By ceasing to occupy the space they leave it open to a major competitor who may exploit it and as a result make itself more competitive, leading to reduced business for the original company. While some communication is aimed at generating new business this is not exclusive as some is about retaining existing customers through reinforcement or reducing opportunities for competitor activity. The same situation occurs with sponsors.

Understand all that, but most would do something to keep things fresh (even in the world of building services engineering!). We used to exhibit at the same trade shows every year. One year we took a look at it and cut down the number we went to, inbound calls went up quite dramatically from "worried" occasional customers wondering if we'd gone belly up, which turned in to more fruitful conversations than we would have had at trade shows. Not spending any money actually started to bring business in.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    So de we go back to calling tham Rabboblanco now?

Or are they Blancin?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Oleg Tinkov says Bauke Molema's agent has contacted him.

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    RichN95 wrote:
    I wonder if Amstel could get involved as a sponsor. An alcohol free line could be a way to get around countries (particularly France) which ban alcohol advertising for sport.
    Here's the ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUAoCdNU6U
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    inrng: Sounds like Belkin team saved with backing from Dutch lottery and Brand Loyalty, a consumer marketing agency
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Most importantly, what colour will will they be? Brandloyalty appear to be orange :D
  • above_the_cows
    What are they going to be called?

Lotto's taken. Brand Loyalty Lotto? You say Brand to most Dutch people and they'll think you're talking about bier.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    Here you go. Some, but not much info.
    Still using their Rabobank savings account, apparently.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... guaranteed
    The Dutch team still doesn't have a full budget for a WorldTour team but continuity seems guaranteed for 2015. The Dutch holiday company Roompot Vakanties is also still looking for a team in which to invest around one million euros.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    "We are working on the final details, but thanks to these investors, the Belkin team will not stop," says Richard Plugge, general manager. He will give more details at the press conference Monday at the second rest day on the Tour de France.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    To be fair to Belkin I don't think cycling sponsorship is the way forward for them as a company. I'm not sure why they ever went for cycling in the first place. It's a niche market and i'd reckon that most people don't know who Belkin are. Most people will never buy a router in their lifetime when they usually come free(ish).

Aiming to sell something in a minority sport in a 2% market where only 2% of people will buy it isnt that great.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    I agree with you but they sell a lot more than routers. Chargers usb hdmi cables etc, now if I see one of their products I assume it is premium over a competitor's because they have a team. I too doubt it was fininacially viable if they were paying big dough though.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Overlord2 wrote:
    To be fair to Belkin I don't think cycling sponsorship is the way forward for them as a company. I'm not sure why they ever went for cycling in the first place. It's a niche market and i'd reckon that most people don't know who Belkin are. Most people will never buy a router in their lifetime when they usually come free(ish).

Aiming to sell something in a minority sport in a 2% market where only 2% of people will buy it isnt that great.

I don't believe it's that simple. On that basis how many people buy mining chemicals and explosives ? (Orica) I'm sure there are dozens that would fit on a list of this nature. However I'm not a marketing person so I'm sure someone else will be able to describe how such sponsorship adds value to a brand / brings in extra business etc where there is only a tenuous connection to cycling's fan base
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I have bought a few phone accessories/cables from them because of their sponsorship of the team...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    My work issued laptop case is Belkin. I didn't buy it and I can't say that the IT department bought them because of their sponsorship of the team but their sponsorship of the team did stop me buying my own 'nicer' more stylish one. So every working day I am a walking advert for Belkin due to their sponsorship of the team. Indisputable proof that sponsorship works! :D
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,652
    I prefer HTC phones, even though Samsung's are probably better, simply because they sponsored a team.

Weird innit?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,564
    I prefer HTC phones, even though Samsung's are probably better, simply because they sponsored a team.

Weird innit?

Though aren't Samsung now a minor sponsor at Trek?

OT - I think HTC phones are actually better than Samsung's anyway...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,159
    edited July 2014
    I needed a roll of tin foil for the barbecue, but instead I bought five tonnes of sheet steel from Lampre just because they sponsor cycling.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    I still have to shift 10 tonnes of cement after Pettachi rode for Fassa Bortolo...
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I have a box of Mapei grouting in my shed. Genuinely.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I briefly went vegetarian in the late 90s.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Surely we all have a room with Quick Step flooring in it? I certainly do....
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,564
    mroli wrote:
    Surely we all have a room with Quick Step flooring in it? I certainly do....

:lol: yep... only reason we went for them! And I'll have a Bora kitchen exhaust fan thing next thank you very much!