Anyone heard of this before ??

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
After finishing a rather hot and sweaty ride on Sunday I was talking to a fella loading his bike into his van, and he started to let his tyres down a bit I asked what was he doing, he said he was letting pressure out because of the heat and especially in the van the tubes could pop, I asked what pressure he was running and he said 27psi, is this right or could happen ??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not at that pressure. Unless it's like 300 degrees. Tyres are fine up to 60 odd psi easily, and probably a lot more.

I have had very old perished road tubes explode in the sun, but they were at 120psi.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So I guess it's plausible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spot on, it's a bit like worrying about the 6 psi increase in tyre pressure when flying, it's a total non issue....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Thought so, just makes you wonder when you see these things, mind I suppose we all have our odd ideas on things :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    iwilldoit wrote:
    because of the heat and especially in the van the tubes could pop
    nodding.gif
    they could
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only if pumped within an inch of their life when put in.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.