chain issues

davegore2005
davegore2005 Posts: 87
edited June 2014 in Workshop
posted also in commuting workshop

help please, anyone!!

i fitted a new chain to my boardman hybrid, a SRAM 9 speed powerlink chain, the bike has only done about 1000 miles but I was behind on the cleaning and could not get the old chain clean.

fitted the chain no problem, measured it to the old one so it's the same length, but since it's fitted the bike runs fine in the larger rings of the cassette, but from 7th 8th or 9th gear on the small ring or 16th 17th or 18th on the big ring the chain seems almost to slip over the rear cassette as you pedal, I don't think it's an issue of wear on the cassette as I never really used the bigger gears on a regular basis, i spent far more time in the bigger teeth than the smaller ones

i have checked and checked again that there are no tight links on the chain and where I shortened it there seem to be no issues, it's running nice and smooth, it's just very frustrating that the chain seems to almost not want to grab the smaller teeth on the cassette.

any advice appreciated

Dave

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    I think your gears need adjusting slightly.
    I have no idea how mechanically minded you are. If you're ok then fix it, but incase you're not:
    Try turning the barrel adjuster on the rear mech, clockwise a quarter of a turn at a time, and see how it runs then.
    I'd do it on a workstand or upside down until it's running smoothly, then once it seems fine try riding it.
  • that's the first thing i tried, would an ever so slight adjustment make a difference to only some gears slipping and others not i wonder??

Dave
  • DCDB
    DCDB Posts: 27
    Does the powerlink connector that you have need to go on in a particular orientation? Might be worth checking as I fitted my 10 speed one the wrong way around and the chain kept skipping on the smallest cog. Took me ages to work out it out.
  • thanks,,,will give that a check

Dave
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Have you run the chain correctly through the rear mech? You may have run it over one of the jockey wheel plates where they are bent over across the jockey wheels.