tick/knock when pedalling

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
When I am pedalling I can hear a tick/knock, it happens every one revolution of the pedals, When I freewheel there is no noise, and when I turn the pedals by hand there is also no noise at all.

Anyone have an idea what could be the cause. Pedals are shimano m520, cranks deore, chain rings are also Deore.

Comments

• sdalby
    sdalby Posts: 139
    Tighten whichever pedal you're pushing down on when your hear the noise. I had this a while ago and that's what it ended up being after trying everything else.
    Never put off until tomorrow something that you can do today. 'Cause if you do it today, and like it, the you can do it again tomorrow!!
  • toastedone
    I think it is tight as can be, I can not even loosen it
  • Danny523
    Danny523 Posts: 8
    I had this problem once, I think it was my bottom bracket bearings, I replaced them and the clicking sound has gone now. Although I did replace the whole crankset and pedals at the same time.
  • I was getting a similar issue not so long ago. I mentioned it when my bike went in for its free service and when i picked it up they said the bottom bracket was slightly loose so they tightened it up. Hasn't made a sound since.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Last time someone had this kind of problem with deore cranks in this forum, the cranks snapped, so be careful.
  • toastedone
    Cqc wrote:
    Last time someone had this kind of problem with deore cranks in this forum, the cranks snapped, so be careful.

I have checked the crank for fractures and can not see any, I have check everything is tight and it is, next stages is LBS
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    Could be all sorts of things ...

In addition to suggestions already made, I'd consider:

- bearings in pedal - if serviceable, tighten these up
    - slightly loose chainring bolts - tighten them up (may be worth taking them out, greasing and then tightening)
    - Bottom Bracket starting to be on the way out - is there any lateral play in the crank arms?
    - start of a freehub issue
    - end of the front derailleur cable catching the crank arm on each revolution? (unlikely to make a knocking sound, but ticking sound possible ...)

Try all you can before heading off to a LBS; they should be able to diagnose something like worn BB, freehub etc, but if its something random/obscure, you could be paying them for taking a lot of time trying to identify the source of the noise ...
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Also check your chainring bolts and that nothing is loose like a cable end tapping the frame as you go.