Sora or Tiagra?

Camcycle1974
Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
Has anyone got a compelling reason why I should go Tiagra over Sora apart from 1 extra gear? I actually prefer the look of Sora over Tiagra, as long as the functionality is the same. Price difference is £40 between the two groupsets.

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The only reason I would choose Tiagra is that you can swap parts between 10 speed Ultegra and 105. Having said that by the end of this year Tiagra will be sole 10 speed group left in the Shimano line up. Even though 10 speed Ultegra and 105 parts will be available for some time yet.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The only reason I would choose Tiagra is that you can swap parts between 10 speed Ultegra and 105. Having said that by the end of this year Tiagra will be sole 10 speed group left in the Shimano line up. Even though 10 speed Ultegra and 105 parts will be available for some time yet.

Kind of what I was thinking - was going to say Tiagra as its 10 speed and more compatible with other groups, but the other groups are moving towards 11 speed now.

Probably get SORA then, use it, wear it out then see what you fancy down the road. Spend the £40 on a new pair of bib shorts or something.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847

This is very good advise and what i would do

Matt
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    can't see the pics..
  • Camcycle1974
    Thanks fellas. I run 105 on my other bike. The Sora/Tiagra is for a winter bike build. It's a blue/silver frame so aesthetically silver might look better. Would have gone with silver 105 but Ribble have sold out and unlikely to get any more with 5800 coming out. Sora is £200 for the complete group, would get the bike up and running then when I have the time/money/inclination I can swap my 105 over and get 11spd Ultegra for my best bike. I love it when a plan comes together!
  • Camcycle1974
    Imposter wrote:
    can't see the pics..

Pics of a Shimano groupset? not very inspiring :lol: For a frame I am building up which is not yet done.
  • Camcycle1974
    Imposter. I now see the gist of your post. Wrong forum! Will be sure to post the bike when it's done though!