Yet another thing wrong with cherished number plates

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
Not only are they stool-looseningly vulgar

Not only are they always c@ck, and don't quite say what they're meant to, despite owners who fondly imagine that **51EVE somehow looks like "Steve", for example

Not only are they turning up on ordinary appliances, rather than the shiny sports cars that are their natural habitat, like a booming voice from the heavens shouting, "behold my mediocre car!"

Not only are they a weird fusion of text language and computer code that only show that the owner decided to waste money on a number plate that imparts no information to anyone - LV426, what the hell does that mean? K40KTY? What???

Not only would they only ever impart information about which no one cares one iota, even if they were the perfect plate - if I could get one that said "EZEKIEL" and that happened to be my name, WHO. THE. HECK. CARES?

But they are now so all-pervasive that I find myself glancing at normal number plates and wondering if there's some message contained in there!! XYZ24V - does your car have 24 valves at all? ZZ51BLY, is your surname Sibly?

I'm off to lay down with my tinfoil hat on so the number plates can't get me
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I changed my name to OV55 JKL... :D
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My Car Reg is D2 LOJ Get it? :roll:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    My discdain for vanity plates is as much a function of my own troubled relationship with social snobbery as it is a mark of the owner's crass and slightly arriviste profile.

I have found a few plates extremely funny. The saintly Steve (Stavros) Parrish was once stopped by an off-duty traffic officer for having rounded off the top of the figure 5 on his plate 'PEN 15' and movd the numbers closer to the letters. I found that hilarious and still do.

On a more modest level, I once saw B1GKA on a Ford Ka. This was not long after the model was introduced and it hit just the right note.

Almost all other plates are terrible banners of social insecurity and material ambition.

Happily, I enjoy disapproving of others and the vast number of vanity plates on British roads give me ample opportunity.
  • drlodge
    I saw the plate "RX 7" on a...RX 7.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    My all time favourite of the ones that I have read about is - K9 POO

I mean, why?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Not only are they a weird fusion of text language and computer code that only show that the owner decided to waste money on a number plate that imparts no information to anyone - LV426, what the hell does that mean?
    It means someone is a fan of the film Alien or Aliens as LV246 is the fictional location where they are primarily set. I recognised it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    There used to be a battered old Jensen CV8 with the reg number CV8 in Wimbledon, that worked. There was a Lamborghini Diablo in an attempt to make the word DIABLO it had a 4 made into and A and an S made into a B by extending the tails until they was a gap of less than a hairs breadth before the joined the horizontal, that was rubbish. The result was a number plate that looked nothing like it was supposed to, I hope he had the plate confiscated or something.
    I had an Alfa with a normal plate that was X???BBC and people kept asking if it was a private plate or telling me I should sell it. Why, it was a bog standard plate that was about a quarter of the way into a run of 999 plates that start with an X and end in BBC, hardly anything special.
    I'm not a fan of them unless they really are short, simple and exactly what they say without bastardisation.
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    My wifes names is Lita-Jayne so her L1TAJ was kinda perfect for her for not much cash.

I just wish she felt COL1N would be a similar worthwhile investment.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    can't comment too much on this thread as I did own S40 TUS spaced to look like lotus - in my defence is was dirt cheap! :oops:

Fav is the wife's uncle Roger with J 10LLY & R10 GER on a couple of cars
  • drlodge
    My wifes names is Lita-Jayne so her L1TAJ was kinda perfect for her for not much cash.

I just wish she felt COL1N would be a similar worthwhile investment.

I thought about DAV1D but if available would cost about £30k I think.
    Find me on Strava
  • Anyone want a WAC plate?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I don't get the fact that because someone doesn't like something, they think everyone else shouldn't ?

If someone is happy to get a PP then why should it bother me, you or anyone ?
    Me, the wife and my son all have PP and they fit the bill very well.

I got mine for fathers day a few years ago, the wife for her birthday and my son when he passed his test.
    Each to his/her own.
    Living MY dream.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    There's a guy down the road that has H20 TAP and I saw 2000AD a while ago. Both are pretty cool.

Buy yes - most are just pointless. And people that put them on those German 4x4's (any of them - they're all pi$h) need to have their car torched.

I don't even know why I'm commenting in this thread - I hate cars with a passion...
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Why don't people just get a bit of cardboard and write their actual name on it and stick it in the window.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Friend of mine has a number that are all close to his business name so for that i kind of get the point. I dont hate them and if others like them so be it but i wouldnt bother myself.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Debeli wrote:
    The saintly Steve (Stavros) Parrish was once stopped by an off-duty traffic officer for having rounded off the top of the figure 5 on his plate 'PEN 15' and movd the numbers closer to the letters. I found that hilarious and still do.
    So you have PEN15 envy?
  • VTech
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Why don't people just get a bit of cardboard and write their actual name on it and stick it in the window.

Because having BUG 11 on your car is bada$$
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:

Almost certainly true...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Unless it is something you can associate with I'm not a huge fan, however a lot of my friends have them and for all but one they were a gift (birthday, anniversary, 18th etc) and were kept whether they really wanted one or not. I know for such a small price that even if my better half got me that made no sense I'd still put it on.

Do some people try too hard with them? Yes. Some of those who try on a budget (buying old plates for instance) can look terrible. Doesn't make them a bad person, just someone who spent their excess cash on something others wouldn't.

Bet if you get angry at such plates you must have terrible rage when driving or cycling on the road.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • VTech
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Almost certainly true...

Don't be a hater, it shows poor taste. :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    VTech wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Almost certainly true...

Don't be a hater, it shows poor taste. :wink:

Don't know what you mean - I'm agreeing with you. What did you think I meant?
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    It's just pretentious showing off, rather like listing all the bikes you own at the bottom of every post on here :?
  • Best cherished number plate has to be:

2012-07-23_043739_1.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    Best plate ever, on the best car ever (although that's not an exact replica)...
  • VTech
    It's just pretentious showing off, rather like listing all the bikes you own at the bottom of every post on here :?

Does anyone really believe that ?
    What about for business, or a chosen profession.
    What about names ?

As I mentioned, mine was a gift off my sons and says what I do. My wife's is her name (spelt correctly) my sons is his name, again spelt correctly.

I once owned GUM841l but sold it. Like wine, you can make a killing in plates if you get it right.
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    No probs... Just think its rather silly and pointless. If it does it for you thats ok by me even though i cant understand why
  • VTech
    I guess it's the same as someone who buys a bike for £90 and is happy with it. Never quite understanding why people in here will spend upwards of £1500 on one. Thinking "how stupid are them idiots wasting all that cash on a bike"

Each to his own.
    Living MY dream.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Not a personalised number plate as such, but a mate of mine kept his French number plate from when he spent three years living in Paris. His main reason is that he works in Central London and if he fancies driving in the number plate isn't recognised when he goes into the congestion zone and he doesn't get charged.
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    Not only are they always c@ck, and don't quite say what they're meant to, despite owners who fondly imagine that **51EVE somehow looks like "Steve", for example
    Perhaps he forgets where he parked the car because he has a mind like a sieve. 8)
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    My all time favourite, which used to drive around the local area,

4 KOF :lol:
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510