Replacing Campy Chainring

markgoldstein
markgoldstein Posts: 146
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Calling all Campag aficionados...

I think the 50T outer chainring on my 4-year-old Record chainset needs replacing - recently the chain has jammed a few times when dropping down to the small front ring, causing some damage to the bottom of the chainstay. Looking at the teeth on the big ring, they definitely have a "sharks-fin profile", which according to online wisdom means it needs replacing.

Trying to source an original Campag part online has so far proven impossible - the only in-stock replacement that I can track down is by TA:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-110-pcd-neri ... chainring/ (£65)

One reviewer has suggested that you probably also need these chainring bolts:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-campag-ultra ... ing-bolts/ (£30)

As that brings the price up to £95, and with a new Chorus chainset from Merlin currently on offer at £195, I'm not sure what to do. Suggestions?

Comments

• lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    I seem to recall that Mercian have a huge Campag stock and can supply individual parts.
    You will not need new bolts, but I think you will need a torx head screwdriver/wrench (T25?) to undo them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Velotech Services should be able to get you a chainring. Why do you need new bolts? I have 30 year-old Campagnolo chainring bolts still working. FWIW chain drop is usually down to the front mech set-up not the chainring.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I always find it bizarre how hard it is to get original chainrings given that there is no such problem with cassettes.

They can be had however though it helps to source them before you need them. They turn up on Ebay and as Monty says, Graeme at Velotech can supply them though they aren't cheap.

TA rings are good though and you should I think be also able to source them from Stronglight as well.

Might want to think about sourcing a small ring as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Quick question re chainrings from TA and Stronglight - can the standard Campagnolo bolts still be used on these? I can't find any clear info and I've got a set of Stronglights ready to be fitted.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Condor in London sell Campag chainrings. I replaced a 50 with a Miche version from Condor, two thirds of the price (£60) and works fine. I used the original bolts. In 2011 or 12 Campag changed the bolts to a one piece version with threads being in the inner ring. You need to make sure you by the correct ring to match which ever bolts you have. Make sure you put back any small packing pieces that may have been put in during assembly and dont over torque the bolts.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo