Please help! Stem and fork compatibility.

jamescowan92
jamescowan92 Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am undertaking a revamp of an old mountain bike (I have never attempted a full fork removal before) to bring it up to speed on a few components and I have become stuck on some compatibility issues I could really do with being solved fast by someone in the know so I can order the parts so they all arrive together.

I have dropped the standard Zoom factory fork out of the frame and it says on it "24.5 * 30.00". I am assuming this is in mm.

I am looking to purchase a Deda Zero 1 2014 stem off of wiggle and the measurements are as follows.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/

-Ø Handlebar: 31,8 mm
-Fork Steerer: 1" 1/8 (28,6mm)
-Clamp Height: 41,5 mm

Now the fork steerer measurement is the one I am looking at and I want to know whether this stem will fit on my fork and can be torqued up safely and correctly. I am assuming that the measurements on the fork itself are a in fact some sort of margin for the stem to be between (which this stem is) however have I got this all wrong? I therefore will need to some advice!

Many thanks in advance!

James

Comments

• samvegg
    samvegg Posts: 11
    Sounds like you need a 1 inch stem. Not very common as that is an old standard.
  • TJ20862
    TJ20862 Posts: 78
    If the old fork/ headset is threaded (threaded headset) it will not fit but if they are threadless it will fit, you need to also make sure what diameter the handle bars are as there are a few sizes?
    Hope that helps
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No it won't. You'll need a 1" stem if you have a 1" steerer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    A zoom fork with a 1" steerer suggests that it might not be worth "a revamp ... to bring it up to speed on a few components" unless the fork is one of those components.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    The 24.5 * 30 is not a range for the diameter of the steerer/stem interface - there is no "margin" in real terms of steerers - just standards - 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, 1 1/2 inch, Tapered (1 1/2 at the bottom, 1 1/4 at the top) etc. etc. You also get threaded and non-threaded which need different stems and different headsets. Identify what you have and then look to see what will fit as they are simply not inter-changeable.

As an aside, if you are re-using the forks and the stem you're looking at fits the steerer, I'd be unsurprised if your bars don't fit (unless you are changing those also) as there are diff diameters of handlebar (In very simple terms: 25.4 - older/cheaper end; 30.8 - newer standard; and 35mm - newest, not common and quite expensive)
  • Hi everyone thanks for all your replies, I'm a roadie anyway so this is just an old mountain bike which I used to bomb about on at uni and before when I was a kid. It is really good nick but I can't afford to change the fork as that would be worth more than the bike. I'm only changing the derailleurs and the stem and handlebar set up due to rust and wear and tear. It is still a functional bike as I've always looked after it (but due to my road bike it has been confined to the shed) but I don't want to spend too much money as my road bike is where my money goes at the moment. Further down the line when I can afford it, I will definitely invest in something modern. This is to muck about on some trails with a mate who is new to mountain biking.

As regards to the fork it is unthreaded and yes I am ordering a Bontrager low rise bar too so it is just a matter of stem onto fork, but thanks for thinking about that too! I've looked into the Park Tool repair manual and nothing is jumping out at me. I will go to my LBS so they can look at everything for a definitive answer but thanks for all your help nonetheless.

James
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Measure the steerer diameter, it will be obvious if it's 1" or 1 1/8"......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.