BB Height - What is Too Low?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I know this may be a difficult one to say but what BB height would be too low on a hard tail?

I'm asking as I'm thinking of getting a Bird Zero 650b frame and using my existing 26in forks (RS Revs 150mm) and wheels with it until I can afford to go to 650b. I've emailed them and they said it would be ok as there is plenty of clearance but that the BB height would drop by 12mm which would make it 300mm. Would this then be too low?

I'm coming off a Stumpy FSR Evo which has a BB height of 345mm static but I get lots of pedal strikes when I'm riding so it obviously goes quite low. My Revs also have a slightly longer a2c length than the one used on the Bird geometry so that might help a bit. I'd also be using 175mm cranks.

Any sensible haughty would be appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't see a cm or so making a significant difference, especially if it's temporary. Pedal strikes are more down to technique anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wilkij1975
    I wouldn't think so either. And I don't tend to pedal while cornering :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just fit some slightly larger tyres perhaps.....a large tyred 26" is pretty much the same diameter as a smaller 650B.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wilkij1975
    Good plan. I hope to not take too long getting 650b parts if I go down this route.