Best tubeless 650b rear tyre?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Just come back from Skiddaw after tearing a hole in my tubeless Nobby Nic Evo TLR Snakeskin Pace Star rear tyre, so I'm now obviously in need of a new one, lol! :wink:

We do quite a bit in the Lakes, so I'm looking for something that's not stupidly heavy, will run tubeless, reasonably cut proof, rolls fairly well, and relatively grippy.

I've been happy with the Nobby Nic, and I'm equally happy with the Hans Dampf on the front, not sure if another Hans Dampf for the rear is the obvious choice, any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Schwalbe rock razor is meant to be a great rear tyre as long as it's not too muddy. The hans dampf is available in a 2.25 version in 650b so that might be a good rear tyre with a 2.35 up front
  • broona
    The 2.25 version is only available in the grippier Trail Star compound, think I'd rather go for the 2.35 Pace Star, and I often ride in thick mud too, so would prefer an all rounder.

Narrowed it down to 3 tyres I think :-

Schwalbe HD Evo Pace Star 2.35
    Maxxis HR II EXO Tubeless Ready 3C MaxTerra 2.3
    Continental Trail King ProTection TLR Black Chili 2.2
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Hans Dampfs are great for thick mud, plenty of grip, but their huge size means they can clog like a barstool. My BFe has great mud clearance but even that clogs with hans dampfs in. I haven't personally tried the black chili conti's but they seem to get favourable reviews on here and from folks I know who run them. Had a go on some High Roller 2's and while they grip well the drag is unreal, super slow rolling tyre!!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    http://youtu.be/yMYW91g5bwI

I wouldn't get too hung up on rear tyre choice, Aaron Gwin doesn't.

Ps I have HD front and back and they are superb.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    After having a short lasting affair with a set of Bonty XR4's I'm back with Conti Black Chili tyres on all three bikes

- 2.2 RQ & 2.2 MK2 on the 'hopper, 2.4 & 2.2 Trail King on the Votec and a pair of 2.5 Der Kaiser's on the Session

I can't recommend them highly enough.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • broona
    Well, just ordered the following :-
    Continental Trail King ProTection TLR Black Chili 2.2
    Park TB1C Emergency Tyre Boot
    Topeak Rescue Box Glueless Patch Kit
    4 inner tubes
    Hopefully that lot might see me through my next 7 mile ride in the Lakes, lol! ;)