Strange One Today

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

Anyone have any ideas, had a puncture today but on the inside of the tube, nearest the rim, thought it might be a spoke, checked them all, all tight, removed the rim tape and all the spokes/nipples are down a hole any how, checked the rim tape all seemed fine with that.

How it happened pulled up at a gate layed the bike down while I shut it and all of a sudden the air rushed out heard the bead pop back off the rim and it was flat and quicker than I could type that, I'm running 30psi Conti tubes can you just get a duff tube as I can't find a problem or anything else to check ??

Comments

• apple eater
    apple eater Posts: 302
    no idea or help but i get punctures out of thin air too.

when i swap my mud tyres for race tyres the tubes are pumped up and solid for days then when i swap the tyres (using only my fingers) and then pump up the race tyres, somehow i have a puncture in a random place.

No sharps anywhere, :?
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Could have pinched the tube between the tyre and rim - especially if you hit a fairly square edged rock.

Apple Eater, do you make sure you haven't got the tube trapped under the bead when you change tyres? Also, have you checked the inside if the tyre whilst flexing the tread? Sometimes thorns break off and can't be seen/felt until the tyre deforms.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could have had some debris in there that fell out when you removed the tyre/tube....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    The Rookie wrote:
    Could have had some debris in there that fell out when you removed the tyre/tube....

Yes thought of that when I got home took the rim tape off washed it and gave the rim a good clean, hopefully it want happen again.