Chip in Fork

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Some bell-end (and that's being nice) crashed into me today and took a chunk of my bike with him. Most of it seems to be paint but on the left side you can see a little bit of "thread" which I'm assuming is the carbon bits.
Is this good to be touched up....can it be fixed easily?

55q1jl8.jpg

33vecFl.jpg

Thanks..in the hope of a nice outcome.

Comments

• aidso
    Edit: In the first image, along the white of the fork, thats where the "hairs" are. The rest on the right hand side is just missing paint
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    did the cf deform under the paint? hard to be sure from a picture, but from the size of the damaged area i'd say it's possible that it did, in which case the fork may have been seriously weakened

given the potential consequence of fork failure i'd be extremely wary
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • aidso
    How do you mean "deform"? I can see a bit of fibre on the left hand side but its strands up-and-down. There isn't a dent in it.
  • sungod
    you can apply force to deform cf enough to cause damage, then remove the force and the cf will return to original position

i.e. it looks ok, but is trashed
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Looks knackered to me. I would not ride that.

However, you might be able to get it repaired - I believe there's a burgeoning CFRP repair industry out there although I've not had need of it myself.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • crinkle-cut-chip-fork-15623922.jpg

Mmm, hungry
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    crinkle-cut-chip-fork-15623922.jpg

Mmm, hungry

Off topic. That's a Fork in Chip. Completely different thing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • aidso
    I tried to get better pics but the light is terrible. I think the bottom line here, is that it aint looking good. Its just the little bit just to the right of the coin...the rest of the gash is just paint.

eledJoh.jpg

zA8KIhc.jpg
  • sungod
    looks nasty

as above you could get it assessed by an expert in cf repair, maybe they can salvage it

but with the time/effort/cost involved in that, i think i'd get a new fork