Gears skipping mid way through the cassette

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have SRAM X0 9 speed shifters and mech with an XT cassette.

Shifting through most of the gears is fine, but roughly in the middle of the cassette there is a hesitancy to go into gear, and sometimes it will jump back out of gear.

What would cause this?

I have ruled out the L or H screws, as the chain does not jump off of the largest or smallest sprocket.
The chain is clean and lubed.
The cables are Gore ride-on, so should not need lube.

Should I be looking at the b screw? Or maybe the indexing at the shifter?

Any advise would be welcomed :D

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like basic indexing.....just the cable tension.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The cassette may be worn through the chain stretching or just damaged. If you tend to use the same gear a lot like me it is most likely just wear.
  • aldo45
    aldo45 Posts: 13
    Wrong shifter?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    aldo45 wrote:
    Wrong shifter?
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    I have SRAM X0 9 speed shifters and mech

I don't think so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aldo45
    aldo45 Posts: 13
    I had a similar problem. Had been sold some 8 speed shifters as 9 speed on ebay and it gave me skipping issues.
  • cooldad
    Pretty easy to spot as you'd be missing a gear.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Tighten your cable, either properly at the mech or by adjusting the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Might need to tweak the L and H screws after though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As said it could be indexing or cable tension, but it's just as likely to be a worn cassette, or worn chain.

I had a similar issue on my road bike with the chain skipping on some middle gears, replaced the chain and cassette with new, problem solved.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A chain and cassette has to get very very worn indeed before they start skipping. Unlikely to be the problem unless either part has recently been changed.

IME Ride-On cables are over rated, once they start to go a bit gritty you totally lose all hope of being able to change gear properly - what state are yours in?
  • gcwebbyuk
    The chain and cassette are relatively new in the grand scheme of things. The bike has been sat for 4 years in the garage though. The cables are pretty much the same age as the chain and cassette (from memory).

I have a set of XTR cables that I have had on the shelf. I might try replacing the Gore kit and give everything a checking over at the same time. Hopefully it won't need anything else new.

Thanks for the info
  • cooldad
    99.9875458754198859% of shifting problems are due to cruddy cables. Fact.
    After four years of moisture they are fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    How about if they skip after replacing the chain and cassette and re-setting the L and H screws and getting everything running sweet on a stand? Out on the trail, bit of pressure and whammo, gears start jumping.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could just be debris between the sprockets lifting the chain off the teeth, skipping only happens under load, whatever the cause, not spinning on a work stand.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Went for a ride today and adjusted the indexing from the shifter, a few clicks and all better. Back to the X0 I remember!

I will be replacing the ogre cables in due course though, but not immediate hurry now.