Anyone used Skype for video calling on a tablet?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
I'm thinking of using this as a way to stay in touch with my family when I go away on holiday.

Does it work ok? I have an Android tablet, wife has an iPad.

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Works great. Millions use Skype video every day.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    We use Face Time on the iPad and it works very well.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rodgers73
    I know about facetime but thats no good for my Android device.

I know Skype is good but do I use the same software if its on a tablet? Or is this an app instead? Just wondering if the tablet version is better/worse than the PC one.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    We have foreign students stay with us a lot and they often use Skype on tablets, seems to work very well.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Skype works just as well on tablets as they do on PC's. The user interface is a little different, and some features are not present on the tablet version, but as long as you have Wifi you are good to go with the video calling. I use it regularly for keeping in touch with family in Austria.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Download the Skype app for ipad, works fine for contacting the few people you know who insist on not using a proper machine and Facetime :D

Oh come on :roll:

Still playing WWPS
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Tablets are vile, particularly Why?-Pads

However, Skype enabled me to keep in touch with the family whilst in Qatar, so is therefore ace

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    SKYPE is fine on a tablet as long a you have a good enough internet connection. If your tablet has front and back facing camera's that can be handy.
  • rodgers73
    Thanks all - looks like I've solved this problem!
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    No one has mentioned the internet connection itself. Not likely to be an issue in a hotel but if you are using coffee shop etc wifi you might struggle...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have used skype on my phablet (Galaxy Note II) and it even works, albeit with a grainy video, over the three network here in the UK.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rodgers73
    It's mainly so my 1yr old can see my face while I'm away - she can't yet understand a damn word I actually say ;-)
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Works well on a Nexus with a good connection. If the video is poor, (free, as in beer) speech only is a good alternative.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    mcdonalds-wi-fi-lg1.jpg