Sourcing Fulcrum 3 freehub (Shimano)

careful
careful Posts: 720
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Inner bearing has died. I understand these are difficult to remove for replacement. I cant find a complete replacement freehub for o/s 17 mm axle, 10 speed Shimano. Anyone know where I can get one?

Comments

• mrbrightside
    mrbrightside Posts: 214
    I may have one without about 200 dry miles on, will look in the morning.
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    I have replaced the inner and outer bearings in my racing 3 freehub several times.

Remove freehub. Tap outer bearings out from inside. Slide out spacer. Remove circlip. Tap inner bearings out from inside.

Refitting is the reversal. You can knock them in gently with a socket which sits over the outer race.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    markynulty wrote:
    I have replaced the inner and outer bearings in my racing 3 freehub several times.

Remove freehub. Tap outer bearings out from inside. Slide out spacer. Remove circlip. Tap inner bearings out from inside.

Refitting is the reversal. You can knock them in gently with a socket which sits over the outer race.

And all for about a fiver all in compared to the £50-£60 for the replacement freehub (which aren't too hard to find online).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Thanks all. Sorted! I drifted the outer bearing out without problems, but removal of the circlip on the inner was very difficult without special circlip pliers. In the end managed it by smashing out the inner race so that I could get a small screwdriver under the end of the circlip from behind. Another dodgy Campag design. Will stick to Shimano of Mavic in future.
    Lots of suppliers online but all the UK ones were out of stock. About £80 from USA. I have ordered similar sealed bearings from Simply Bearings for £19 including postage.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    careful wrote:
    Another dodgy Campag design. Will stick to Shimano of Mavic in future.

So how much easier has your experience of replacing Shimano or Mavic freehub bearings been?

(And you don't need circlip pliers to extract the clips though it helps. There's various methods that you can use before you resort to mindless mechanical thuggery - your user name seems a mite ironic!).
    careful wrote:
    Lots of suppliers online but all the UK ones were out of stock. About £80 from USA. I have ordered similar sealed bearings from Simply Bearings for £19 including postage.

I bought mine from Engineersmate on Ebay for £2.52 inc postage for the pair. Double sealed. They seem to last longer than the originals so certainly up to the job.
    Faster than a tent.......