Garmin Question.

Dandelionclock30
Dandelionclock30 Posts: 306
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Hello, I'm considering getting a Garmin for navigation purposes to help me go further afield without getting lost. I'm not bothered about how fast Im going heart rate and all that.
So would you go for one of these Garmin Edge Touring Special Edition GPS Cycle Computer with Mount & Case from Halfords www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv ... Id_165741# or the Garmin Extex 30? http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-etrex-3 ... tAodIV0AJQ.
I need something relatively straightforward to use.
Has anyone any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I've never seen the Touring Special before but it seems to be what you are looking for if you just want mapping. The other one seems to be a hand held job, so doesn't look the right choice.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I think the "Special" is where you get a std mount, out front mount and a silicon cover. Its the same as the one I've got, as I didn't want the HR etc, and I'm happy with it.
    I agree with Forumnewbie, the other one looks more hand held. Although you can buy a cycle mount, that'll bump up the price closer to the Touring.
    BC membership will also take 10℅ off the Halfords price
  • Just started a thread on the same subject. I want something that I can upload a planned route to and follow. Car like GPS isn't a must for me.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have recently acquired the Touring Plus, which means I can display / record HR too. Pretty simple to use. You can use it like a car sat nav, or you can plan a route and upload it to the device and follow it. You can also tell it to plan a round trip of a specific distance and it will suggest 3 alternatives. I've already discovered loads of roads close to home that I'd never dreamt of going down before, which I've found quite entertaining.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    The Etrex is a much more versatile unit than a bike-centric one, and better value. but there's a HUGE downside:
    The bike mount for the etrex 30 (and other handhelds) doesn't hold the unit on the bike particularly securely. It'll fall off on a vaguely bumpy road. I glued a bit of inner tube to the holder on mine to give a tighter fit, but it still managed to escape and bounce off into a hedge somewhere. Never did find it. :(
  • The thing is with the Etrex that it runs on aa batteries not a battery that needs to be charged. So if it goes dead in the middle of nowhere then its easy to put in two new batteries.
    I'm trying to go a bit further afield without the concern of getting a bit lost, I can read maps o.k, but its more of a hassell having to print them off etc.
    To the person above did you use the Ram mount? because they are supposed to be good.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Etrex 30 using AA batteries and longer run life was a plus for me to use for multi-day camping/touring. I use it for walking too, and has saved me a few wrong turns. I find the Etrex ok, and you can pair with HR & cadence if you have the bits. The button on the etrex can be a bit of a faff to reset counters etc.

Open source maps are free (I felt obliged to make a donation after trying a few different ones), but installing is a bit slow. I found route planning hard work and mostly just use tracks to follow the purple line rather than using the direction functions. When I get it right it does improve the ride and saves having to stop and check map every junction.

I bought two mounts that look identical (not garmin branded, can't remember make), one clips firmly (and is a bugger to get off), the other doesn't seem to lock on. Both rattle and I use a bit of inner to wedge in.

Edit - http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm has a really good guide to setup for the Etrex and makes things much better than the factory defaults.
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    I used the garmin mount and also a cheapy off ebay. Both were pants.
  • So would you get the Etrex or the Touring Garmin, all things considered?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Etrex30 - AA batteries and longer runtime (I think) - this was the decisive factor for me

Edge - touchscreen interface, sleeker, better bike mount (but I haven't had a problem). Much easier to use with Strava if that's your thing.

If you don't do more than 12 hours at a time the Edge is probably best. At the time I bought my etrex the touring wasn't available, so price came into it too.
  • Thanks, regarding the battery of the Touring one though, how quickly will it start to degrade? I know that over time they start to hold less charge. I dont want to have to buy another in a year because its knackered.