possible bottom bracket shell thread damage.

rattyc5
rattyc5 Posts: 84
edited June 2014 in Workshop
took my square taper bottom bracket out and it was very tight to remove from driveside. put a new one in and it was very tight on driveside. I wont be removing it till I need a new bb. if the threads are gone, what are my options?
thanks

Comments

• borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Not a big problem anymore. You can use one of these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YST-Corp-Prof ... 1e81c5448d

My wife has one on her bike, it did work loose once or twice when first fitted but now its fine. They aren't light but they do the trick. Basically there are no BB shell threads and the BB threads onto itself in the middle.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    was it tight because the threads are corroded or clogged with paint/gunk?

when i swapped bb on a new bike, the threads were in a poor state from new, i chased out the paint etc. with a pick and then the new bb went in easily (and with plenty of anti-seize on it)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    This^^. Or if all else fails, take it to your LBS and have them chase the threads with a proper tool. Shouldn't be too expensive and can correct any distortions (if there are any) in the BB shell.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - 2 minute job for the LBS.

Personally I'd take the one you've slapped in out, clean out the threads, loads of copper slip, reinstall. Do a job properly and all that jazz ...........

Those b/bs as above work perfect - I have one on the winter bike (frame acquired foc due to b/b damage). Think I paid £15 from Pearson or similar.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.