Cones and Bearings

Bozman
Bozman Posts: 2,518
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Is it good practice to replace the cones when you replace the bearings?
I had some wheels serviced at a decent bike shop in March because they were running a little rough, I've only just used them and noticed that they were noisy and they're running worse than ever.
I got someone to have a look at the wheels and the cones are pitted, surely these should be replaced when you swap the bearings out.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    what about the cups? in most cases if they're worn it means replacing the hubs, in which case just swapping the balls is the cheap way to eke out some more use
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The cups are fine.

I rang the shop and they said that it's quite possible that they might not have had any cones in stock at the time, if I bring the wheels back in they'll try and source some but they don't know how long that'll take, Shimano cones.......even Halfords stock them.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    I found the cost of the cones was not economic compared to a replacement hub (shimano 105). Just run them crunchy until they die. Eked some more miles out of the winter commuting hubs with new ball bearings, plenty of grease and taking some corrosion off/ polishing up the cones with fine wet sandpaper the panelbeating grade kind
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If they are Shimano hubs you can probably obtain the correct cones from SJS Cycles.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Bozman wrote:
    The cones only need replacing when they have noticeable wear such as pitting or uneven lines from where the bearings ride. No advantage to replacing good used cones.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Bozman wrote:
    The cones only need replacing when they have noticeable wear such as pitting or uneven lines from where the bearings ride. No advantage to replacing good used cones.

read his original post.... he said he took out the cones and they were pitted :shock:

depending on which hubs, it may be quite expensive for the shimano cones, no too mention hard to source them, if the cups are also damaged, then some wet dry paper can get some more life out of them.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    ^^^^Yes, I saw that. :shock: The way the question was worded could be interpreted as should the cones be replaced whether good or not.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Having cup & cone bearings too tightly adjusted can also cause them to feel rough.

With the quick-release open, the bearings can feel just fine - but when tightened in the frame the bearings can be too tight. Adjusting the cones takes a delicate touch - they have to be just a little loose out of the frame, so they become 'just right' when the Q-R is tightened.
    I adjust the cup and cone bearing on my bikes so with wheels clamped in the frame, I can feel just a very tiny amount of side-to-side rim movement. Not enough movement to see, but just enough to feel with fingers. Then I know the bearings aren't wedged tight between the cup and cone - there should be a very slight clearance so the bearings actually roll on a skim of grease.

Even slightly pitted cones will work ok if they are properly adjusted and lubed.
    But that requires a mechanic who has the knowledge, skill, desire, and time to 'do it right'.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA