Bib shorts

cubext
cubext Posts: 47
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,
Is buying a comfortable pair of bib shorts potluck?? They can be a lot shell out just to get it wrong
Any advice appreciated
Cheers

Comments

• Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    I've just gone with Sportful from probikekit and find em really good, a lot of people on here would recommend DHB from Wiggle and if you've got money to splash around I'm sure Rapha or Assos wouldn't disappoint :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Etxeondo from Merlin cycles - crazy cheap and rated as good as Assos (by people who also have assos)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Also check out Polaris, Venom and Pursuit very good.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    What are your measurements and what is your budget?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    If your not worried about budget then Castelli Free Aero Bib shorts are superb.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    If your not worried about budget then Castelli Free Aero Bib shorts are superb.

Aye, top shorts.
    But look out for a 'deal' on Assos or DHB Aeron Pros which are great value for money, at the right price.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk
  • cubext
    cubext Posts: 47
    Thanks, some interesting looking suggestions there.. :)
  • CXrider
    As I now tend to do 50 - 80 milers in training with 3 to 6 hours in the saddle I am now finding that the most pain I suffer is my arse. After about 40 miles it starts to ache and I am shifting my position all over the place which then places stress on other parts of the body.
    I will be on the look out for other bibs to try but I cant see anything helping, not even a nice, huge, soft saddle.
    I ride every other days and probably do 100 - 150 miles a week - does this ever get better or is arse-ache part and parcel?

:(
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    apreading wrote:
    Etxeondo from Merlin cycles - crazy cheap and rated as good as Assos (by people who also have assos)

Ah this was what I asked in the thread below - I have some S7 and S5 Assos bibs on order, and now a pair of Orhi's on order, although at the price I may get 2 pairs IF they are as good as people say they are?
    I appreciate it's very subjective, but would appreciate peoples opinions.
    The Assos ones I am looking at are the entry level ones.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    CXrider wrote:
    As I now tend to do 50 - 80 milers in training with 3 to 6 hours in the saddle I am now finding that the most pain I suffer is my ars*. After about 40 miles it starts to ache and I am shifting my position all over the place which then places stress on other parts of the body.
    I will be on the look out for other bibs to try but I cant see anything helping, not even a nice, huge, soft saddle.
    I ride every other days and probably do 100 - 150 miles a week - does this ever get better or is arse-ache part and parcel?

:(

Dont know how long you have been doing 100-150 miles a week but assuming its more than just a couple of weeks, then you will have worked through the phase that its just your arse adjusting/toughening up. I think you then need to look at saddle before padding. If you get a perfect fit saddle then you wont need much or any padding to stop the aches. If you have a bad fitting saddle then all the padding in the world wont help.

Best is to get a fitting but there are all sorts of DIY methods for measuring your sit bones but there is also some trial and error involved usually. Dont go for a soft or padded saddle - worst thing you could do.
  • mathematics
    mathematics Posts: 453
    I really like my lusso pro gel and at £45 from merlins can you go wrong - plus I've torn them this week and they're going to repair them :-).

I fancy the exteondo but not sure on how they size up - does anyone know? I am M in lusso L in endura any idea what I might be in exteondo?
  • sanspoof
    sanspoof Posts: 111
    I recently bought some Morvelo bibshorts and they are excellent, really comfy too with a good, tight fit.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Just got some Dhb Aeron Pros from Wiggle and they are really nice. Good VFM.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    It may also be worth getting riding position looked at.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    If your up for selling a kidney, Castelli Body Paints are mega
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I really like my lusso pro gel and at £45 from merlins can you go wrong - plus I've torn them this week and they're going to repair them :-).

I fancy the exteondo but not sure on how they size up - does anyone know? I am M in lusso L in endura any idea what I might be in exteondo?

My Exteondo Dicolor and Ator bibs are a snug, quite compressive fit and my body fat percentage is only 7%.

For the record, I'm 164cm and 57kg with a 28'' waist and my Exteondo shorts are size small.
  • CXrider
    Dont go for a soft or padded saddle - worst thing you could do.

Blimey, is that right? Logically on would think it was the other way round.
    I removed my stock Boardman E4S saddle and replaced it with a Selle Italia SLR Carbon. It has less padding and the overall comfort is about the same so I will have a look at saddle position, angle and my two bones down there.
    I do find it a LOT more comfy when bent over in the drops, thereby placing my weight more towards the narrow front bit about where the perinium is.

Also, I just viewed my bike from the side and the saddle slopes down more than my other bike, could that be an influence?
  • apreading
    It could be, then again it might not... sorry - its just that its different for everybody!

Good reads here: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/852 ... de-saddles
    and here: http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/a ... dles-.html

Quote: "Saddle padding shouldn’t be excessively thick or soft, despite the overstuffed “gel” saddles often suggested to beginning cyclists. Thick, soft padding may initially seem like the obvious solution to saddle discomfort, but usually the squishy saddle just squishes down under the sit bones – and squishes up in the middle – adding pressure where you don’t want it - See more at: http://www.cervelo.com/en/engineering/a ... T3ijg.dpuf"

I have tried all sorts over the years and for a while settled on the Charge Spoon which for me was better than expensive Specialized saddles etc that I tried. When I bought a Boardman I actually bought another Spoon but in trying it for a while with the Boardman Saddle, it is the best I have ever had - so much so that I have bought a few spares cheap on ebay and replaced them on all my bikes. I have done 100+ mile days on the Boardman saddle with zero discomfort at all. Of course that is just because it fits me personally, so may not be the same for someone else...