Stem length/angle

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited June 2014 in MTB general
I currently have a Thomson X4 100mm 0deg rise stem on my stumpy HT (2008).

I am hoping to return to cycling from a 4 year break due to neck surgery, and want to make things as easy as possible for my aging (35yo) body...

I believe I need a shorter slightly more raised stem - but don't want to affect handling to a point where the bike is twitchy and un-rideable.

What would be a sensible length/rise to go for in order to raise my hands about an inch from where they currently sit now? How much is this amount of change likely to have on rideability?

Also, what's the current re-sale value on a Thomson stem in almost brand new condition?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I went from 100 to 60 with no probs at all. Improved handling of my 29er no end. So much so it threw me off, shattered my collar bone in 3 places and left me with nerve damage to right hand. (actually this had nothing to do with the stem - but I gotta blame something)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• gcwebbyuk
    I was tempted to go for a 70mm 10deg rise, or maybe a 90mm. I've been a but geeky and drawn it out in illustrator to see roughly the difference, and it seems ok. I think the stock Specialized stem was a 90mm.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    To be honest from 100mm to 70 you won't notice much. I could have gone to 40/50 with no issues at all. If you want more rise then that will limit your choice. I was feeling too stretched out with the 100mm. A shorter one and change os saddle position really helped.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I went from 100 to 70 on my hardtail some years back and it improved it greatly - didn't go for any additional rise but already had a 7 degree I think so stuck with that. I have since widened the bars which has improved matters too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It could be worth getting a couple cheap stems from ebay to experiment. Different bar widths could be worth trying as well.
  • gcwebbyuk
    It turns out the stem is actually a 90mm version already - measured centre of steerer to centre of handlebar mount.

So a 70/10deg is probably going to be my best bet. I am planning to go for a short road ride tomorrow, so will see how the current setup affects my back/neck. The trouble I have is that my neck is set in a forwards angle where the vertebrae where fused - so if I have to tilt my head backwards to look forwards (if that makes sense?) I will be putting pressure on the base of my neck where it meets the thoracic area of the spine (shoulders).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd probably look for a 17 degree, 70mm at 10 degree is only going to give a 12mm rise over a zero degree, that or consider bars with more rise and backsweep.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I could only find the Thomson 70/10deg for the full retail price, or a Hope FR 70/25 deg - both about £70. In the end went for the shorter 50mm version at just over £40.

Will let you know how I get on...
  • gcwebbyuk
    Did a short 5 mile road ride today with the 50mm stem. A huge improvement.

The pain that I had been experiencing in my neck when riding the previous week has almost gone, and is actually further down my back now in a position I can cope with. I will hopefully get chance to do a longer ride in the week, so keeping fingers crossed the shorter stem has made cycling something I can do again (albeit road only for the time being).