corrosion - carbon fork

madeinleeds
madeinleeds Posts: 41
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I noticed today I've got some corrosion on my carbon forks around where the bolt for the brake calliper goes - see pic. Is this the end of my forks - any thoughts on how safe (or not) they are to ride on ?? The bike's an orbea onix (2009). cheers

96buh.jpg

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Should be ok. I had that on my old bike. I stripped all the flaking paint off and sanded off all the oxidisation (rust).

Get some hammerite and use that to replace the paint.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    That particular bit of the fork is not carbon, it is cast aluminium. As above, it is oxidisation - it's not pretty, but it will not have any negative effect on the bike's safety..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'd pop the brake off ASAP and clean it all up, slap loads of copper slip in and reassemble - best get it done soonest before you can't get the brake off.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Should be OK - just scrape it back and make sure and powdery aluminium corrosion doesn't get to where the aluminium crown is bonded to the carbon forks.
  • That's great, thanks all. Good to hear there's some more miles left in them
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yep, I had that - until then I had assumed it was carbon right up to the steerer but that actually makes more sense when you think about it.

My brake got jammed in - could get the bolt out but it just wouldn't come out because of the corrosion. Had to buy a new brake after bashing it out. Now I periodically take the brake out and make sure it's well greased. I don't use that bike over the winter now too - the year before it happened I commuted all winter with no front mudguard.

Like already said I just picked off the flaky stuff and then rubbed it back and took it somewhere local to be repainted. £40 I think and it still looks great.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's the back of the fork - no one will see it. Rub down, repaint it yourself taking care, spend the £40 on Barolo and Salami for the duration of the World Cup.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.