Insurance thread?

nightofjoy
nightofjoy Posts: 35
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hya.
Is there a thread about cycle insurance on here?
I'm looking to insure a mountain bike against theft from home and when locked whilst I'm out and about. My bikes will never be worth more than £500 - £600
Cheers.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There are lots. About 13,000 or so posts.

Do you have home insurance? Virtually always cheaper than a standalone policy, bikes of that sort of value will be covered as standard by many providers.
  • nightofjoy
    No, no home insurance....
  • njee20
    May I suggest sir gets home insurance...? Even in shared occupancy housing it makes sense.
  • nightofjoy
    No, I'd have to insure the whole house myself, as nobody else here is interested, and the living situation with the other residents would make insuring tricky. I'd rather just find external insurance for when my bike is locked up in the house, and when it's locked up say outside a shop.... if such a thing exists....
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    nightofjoy wrote:
    Hya.
    I'm looking to insure a mountain bike against theft from home and when locked whilst I'm out and about. My bikes will never be worth more than £500 - £600
    Cheers.

Start -
    Google - Cycle insurance or similar
    Get many quotes and find cheapest quote
    Search for reviews against said company
    If few/no bad reviews exist, weigh it up and get it insured.
    If plenty of bad reviews and you don't want to risk it, go to next cheapest until you find company you want to go with.
    - End
  • njee20
    Check out Endsleigh too for shared house insurance. Honestly, I've never seen a standalone policy be anything like good value. Even if there's only £10 in it you may as well go house insurance, get your phone and computer and what not covered too.
  • nightofjoy
    Briggo wrote:
    nightofjoy wrote:
    Hya.
    Cheers.

Start -
    Google - Cycle insurance or similar
    Get many quotes and find cheapest quote
    Search for reviews against said company
    If few/no bad reviews exist, weigh it up and get it insured.
    If plenty of bad reviews and you don't want to risk it, go to next cheapest until you find company you want to go with.
    - End

Yeah, I just thought on here there might be someone with personal experience of a third party firm...
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Sidetrack - has anyone else had that action sports thing on their facebook? Wish I'd taken it out a few weeks ago!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ferrals wrote:
    Sidetrack - has anyone else had that action sports thing on their facebook? Wish I'd taken it out a few weeks ago!!
    Not only a hijack, but a WTF are you talking about hijack.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nightofjoy
    Ferrals wrote:

WTF are you talking about?
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    There was some thing is saw on fb which was action sports insurance - gave you a couple of grand if you broke your wrist etc
  • nightofjoy
    No, I don't need action sports insurance. Just for if the bike gets nicked while locked up outside the post office or something....