Classic Ribble 531

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
Picked up an early 1980s Ribble 531 tubing this week, It's an original example which does need work but still a lovely bike.

105 brakes and leavers
105 down tube friction/sis shifters
Regina Extra 6 speed freewheel
Shimano 600 FD
Exage RD
Bio pace 52/42 crankset
Shimano 600 headset
Mavic open 4 cd wheels

Unsure what the stem and bars are??

Tyres are 28 which have to go!

Might think about respraying the frame as there are a lot of paint chips/scratches, would need to source some Ribble decals to, Also the Regina freewheel is grinding and noisy so once I buy a tool to remove it I will give it a good overhall.

Gears are not for the weaker hill climber think the freewheel is 13-21 and the crankset is 52/42.

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1401.jpg

DSCF1402.jpg

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    With a bit of TLC that will become a realy nice bike. Are you sure it is early 80s? All looks a bit more recent than that to me, early 90s perhaps?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If its 600EX that puts it late 80s - my Raleigh Record Ace had that and was bought in 1986.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • carl1983
    It probably is late 80s then , the guy I bought it off said he'd bought it 30 years ago but could be out a couple years.

The colour is lovely I will try to match it as best I can when I get it resprayed. Can anyone recommed a company for resprays? Also I'm looking for someone who does decals too?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Rourke's do vintage resprays and I think they can get loads of vintage decals too. Jason will make whatever colour you want including matching the existing colour.

I have some old 600EX uniglide sprockets and wheels if you're stuck for parts (Mavic GP4 tubular rims).
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    That's going to be lovely when renovated.

I used these guys for a Colnago respray. They were fantastic and should source original decals for you too. They did for me.

http://www.atlantic-boulevard.co.uk
  • carl1983
    Thanks Drlodge I will let you know.

I have emailed both Rourkes and Atlantic Boulevard for Quotes, I will certainly update here as the restoration goes on..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Crying out for a Turbo saddle!

Definitely late 80s at the earliest - the aero brake levers didn't come in til around then. Needs some nice tanwall tyres - eg Panaracer Pasela or something racy like Veloflex Master.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • carl1983
    Yes to the Turbo saddle and tanwall tyres!

Need to replace the hoods to, Might go with black instead of white.