New Sora to 10speed?

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,

I bought the Mrs a bike this year, it's a 2014 caad8 with full Sora, I want to upgrade it to 10 speed for her ideally with shifters that allow the cables to go under the handlebar tape as well,

My question is what's the least I need to change to do this?

TIA
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Don't wish to come across negative, but I very much doubt it's worth it.

To get the cables under the bar tape you'll need at least 105 shifters. I have these and they are nice to use and the front looks neat. However, that's £175 or so for starters.

The other option to achieve this would be bar end shifters, although these will instantly put 20 years on her age, which she probably won't appreciate.

You'll also need a new crankset, cassette, chain probably rear mech, front mech, possibly BB and hubs.

In real terms, there's very little difference between 9 and 10 speed. Having the cables routed under the tape is very nice, but not sure it's worth shelling out north of £300 for.

Quite a lot of work, as well (or more cost to have the LBS do it).

In terms of bangs for your buck upgrades I'd look at better tyres, Swissstop pads, or even some handbuilt wheels (not as expensive as you might think - around £230 would get you some really nice ones).
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If it's 10 speed sora then at a quickie I'd say shifters, cables (inners and outer) and, possibly, rear mech (mechs can sometimes be adjusted to match the number of shifter clicks but without knowing more on the existing Sora I can't tell.

Front mech will be fine, check pull ratios for brakes.

Maybe go 9 speed as cheaper all round and less potential fagging re mech and brakes?

Addendum following post above: Ultegra 10 speed shifters for ?138 at Merlin. Come with cables. Matching Ultegra brakes for £28 each at CRC. Yup, it all adds up.

Personally I'd source 9 speed D/A, some P/X carbon 50s or carbon zone 60s and work from there.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Joeblack
    Why would I have to change the cranks and bb? It's already got fsa bb30 on there? I was thinking it would be shifters rear mech and cassette at most?

I understand you're point re the upgrades but iv already done new wheels and tires for her so this is the next thing
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As above I wouldn't bother, Sora is a good groupset and you won't gain much from the extra cog. If you want to do a proper upgrade that's worthwhile doing then look at 11 speed 105.
  • andrewc3142
    edited June 2014
    Joeblack wrote:
    Why would I have to change the cranks and bb? It's already got fsa bb30 on there? I was thinking it would be shifters rear mech and cassette at most?

I don't know the FSA crankset, but generally 9 speed cranks are not 10 speed compatible.

9 speed and 10 speed chains are not normally compatible.

Also brakes - even when I had to replace my 105 shifters and got the new version I also had to get new brakes for them to work as well as I wanted.

But I don't see the upgrade gives you (her) any significant benefit. 9 speed is fine and Sora is pretty good.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    [
    I don't know the FSA crankset, but generally 9 speed cranks are not 10 speed compatible.

Is that so? If so why so? Speaking as I use an 11 speed chainset with 10 speed.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    According to the [dead] god that is Sheldon Brown, 1 gear either side should work fine i.e. 9 speed should work with 8 and 10 speed.

I'm using a 9 speed chain on a "10" speed chainset, 7 speed cassette and 10 speed rear derailleur & shifters. It all works perfectly :shock: (its a Shimergo setup)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • andrewc3142
    [

Is that so? If so why so? Speaking as I use an 11 speed chainset with 10 speed.

My understanding is that the jump from 9 spd to 10 spd is the biggie because the chain is narrower. However, it might just be a case of rougher shifting.

Could suck it and see - various combos work that Shimano claim don't. However, if it doesn't then best to know what the potential cost could be in advance.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Just to contradict the lot above - it is the internet, after all - I thought it was worth doing and, if it is the thumb-operated Sora I reckon your missus will as well.

All you will need is the shifters, cassette and a chain. Probably a new set of inner cables whilst you are on. You should be able to re-use the outers though they may need to be a different length going around the bars, shorter is a quick cut, longer means a new bit. Mechs are all fine and the chainset will be happy enough, no reason to change.

Sell the bits you take off and won't actually cost that much. I reckon I did it for £80 all in.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't wish to come across negative, but I very much doubt it's worth it.

To get the cables under the bar tape you'll need at least 105 shifters. I have these and they are nice to use and the front looks neat. However, that's £175 or so for starters.

The other option to achieve this would be bar end shifters, although these will instantly put 20 years on her age, which she probably won't appreciate.

You'll also need a new crankset, cassette, chain probably rear mech, front mech, possibly BB and hubs.

In real terms, there's very little difference between 9 and 10 speed. Having the cables routed under the tape is very nice, but not sure it's worth shelling out north of £300 for.

Quite a lot of work, as well (or more cost to have the LBS do it).

In terms of bangs for your buck upgrades I'd look at better tyres, Swissstop pads, or even some handbuilt wheels (not as expensive as you might think - around £230 would get you some really nice ones).

105 5700 Shifters - £115 - that's without searching for a cheaper deal or getting them second hand.
    The shifters come with cables (inner & outer) but if not, the nearly new ones currently on the bike will work.

You do not need new crank, bottom bracket, front or rear mech let alone hubs ..

So - shifters for £115, new tiagra 4600 (10 speed) cassette for £15 & chain for about the same = £145 for the parts if you do it yourself. Oh, you might want some new bar tape too - bung on another £10-15.

If you get your LBS to do it then it's likely they'll charge you RRP.

Don't forget - you can always sell the bits you take off to offset the cost - so that helps...
  • Matthewfalle
    No new cranks or B/B needed at all. They will work fine.

Bar tape in the sales for a fiver from CRC.

Cost coming down as we speak :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I did pretty much the same thing a year or so ago, and it only needed the shifters, chain and cassette. The old shifters went on eBay and brought back a significant chunk of the cost - yours should do better since they're newer.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Matthewfalle
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I did pretty much the same thing a year or so ago, and it only needed the shifters, chain and cassette. The old shifters went on eBay and brought back a significant chunk of the cost - yours should do better since they're newer.

This and new cables (inners and outers).

Then set fire to the old stuff.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Joeblack
    Great, thanks to everyone for the detailed replies, so we are looking around £150 before fitting, and then I can sell the old bits to cover some of the costs.

I'll have a look around for some second hand bits and see if I can bring the costs down that way but tbh that's fine if it's only going to be around that much,

Thanks again guys