Headset press recommendations

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Morning All

Can anyone recommend a headset press - need maximum bang for buck. Road bike, home use so a couple of times a year but want to buy one that will last forever.

I've had a quick look around but with so many choices recommendations would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

M
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    By a new bike

Don't forget to burn the old one ....

heh :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cyclus - 10x better than the flimsy Park one for the money IMO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    years ago i got the big park tool one cheap, but i wouldn't get it at normal price, it's crazy, and as above, the basic park one isn't as good as the cyclus

which is what i'd get if i were going to buy one now... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/

park/other presses do come up on ebay, it's worth checking for bargains
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    +1 for the Cyclus. Works well.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just to add - unless you have a bike with an older-style external headset, you almost certainly will not need a headset press in your workshop. Most 'modern' frames are now using integrated or semi-integrated headset setups which can usually be assembled by hand.
  • Matthewfalle
    Cool - thank you very much. Cycles looks like it's winning it :)

Slow bike: burning pyre already contains old head set - I'll scour the forum for further parts to add :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    Just to add - unless you have a bike with an older-style external headset, you almost certainly will not need a headset press in your workshop. Most 'modern' frames are now using integrated or semi-integrated headset setups which can usually be assembled by hand.

Aaa ah - a factor I hadn't considered - thank you.

2005 Trek 2005 (the top of the range Ali race frame one) - waddy a reckon: int/semi int or not.

Ta muchly!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slow bike: burning pyre already contains old head set - I'll scour the forum for further parts to add :)
    ;)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1 Cyclus

plus I've made extra shims/adaptors to fit various headset cups, and bought shims to fit pressfit BB cups. Good tool.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    ^+ Another here with the Cyclus Headset Press, well made and excellent value for the money.
  • Matthewfalle
    Brilliant stuff - thank you everyone.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Carefully tap in with a soft mallet. Keep an eye on perpendicularity and it will be just as good.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 2 pieces of 50mm x 50mm 10mm thick steel plate with a 12mm hole drilled in the middle, and a length of m12 threaded bar with 2 x m12 nuts on. Made by a fitter at our place for me on nights. Worked everytime I've used it, and cost me nowt
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    2 pieces of 50mm x 50mm 10mm thick steel plate with a 12mm hole drilled in the middle, and a length of m12 threaded bar with 2 x m12 nuts on. Made by a fitter at our place for me on nights. Worked everytime I've used it, and cost me nowt

Ah, the Yorkshireman showing his true colours - trouble is, in the hands of someone with lesser competence it's a very good way of b*ggering-up a frame/headset cup if it's not bang-on square. Also, using a flat-plate on an press-fit BB bearing can knacker-it if it distrorts the inner race
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Make one for about £5.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Cyclus - 10x better than the flimsy Park one for the money IMO.

I might agree if this was for bike shop use, but as it will be used once a year or so in a home shop I see no reason to go spend a ton. The cheapest Park one will see ya through many years of hanging on a wall and even perform the use intended more than a few times.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Make one for about £5.

I had my uncle(a machinist) make me one. Works great AND even installs press fit BB's.