Anyone But Brazil

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
After last night's clear nobbling of the ref, the shocking dive for the pen, and the appalling disallowed goal, I shall now be cheering for anyone but Brazil.

Who's joining me?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• LinkD
    LinkD Posts: 30
    Agreed.
  • Sorry, not me, I have them in the work sweepstake.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't care - I just think the games need to carry on for another few months ... the roads are much quieter .. :D
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Anyone But Brazil Association.

ABBA?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cwKCU8Z5c&feature=kp
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Is there some football event happening then?
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    I said at work this morning that the Ref must have got a backhander and got laughed at.
    I'm with you Anyone But Brazil.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Yes another one here - left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth watching that - if the ref gets more games then we know it's with FIFAs blessing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Hypocrisy by football fans.
    Michael Owen anyone? Or is he different because he was 'ours'?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... inals.html

Wait until Rooney is the victim of an imaginary sniper when in the penalty box.
    Yes, it sickens me as well. I used to watch lots of football but now can't be arsed.

Anyone see Lee Dixon on TV complaining that it was not a penalty and then admitting that he and all players tried to con referees? Priceless!
    Klinnsman was lampooned for his diving antics, but watch any Premiership game and it appears that he was a visionary, years ahead of his time.
    They used to say Martin Peters was ahead of his time, but at least that was for footballing reasons.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Hypocrisy by football fans.
    Michael Owen anyone? Or is he different because he was 'ours'?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... inals.html

Wait until Rooney is the victim of an imaginary sniper when in the penalty box.
    Yes, it sickens me as well. I used to watch lots of football but now can't be arsed.

Anyone see Lee Dixon on TV complaining that it was not a penalty and then admitting that he and all players tried to con referees? Priceless!
    Klinnsman was lampooned for his diving antics, but watch any Premiership game and it appears that he was a visionary, years ahead of his time.
    They used to say Martin Peters was ahead of his time, but at least that was for footballing reasons.

Not hypocritical at all because if England won the final like that it'd leave me feeling pretty flat. It's something that has crept into the game to the point it seems to be accepted as part of it, I can't remember Owen going down quite as easily as that Brazilian last night but if he did then he was wrong.

edit - he's not admitting throwing himself on the ground at the slightest touch is he, he's admitting going down easily when fouled, though from that clip I can't see much of a foul. Whatever, I'm quite happy for England to hand back all the trophies they've won in the last 40 years because of it if all nations will do the same.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate
    I'm quite happy for England to hand back all the trophies they've won in the last 40 years because of it if all nations will do the same.

:lol:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    A Brazilian player can openly "cheat" in full view of the world, but suffer no consequences, despite it being the difference between a win and a draw. At the same time presumably someone sitting on the subs bench for Croatia could test positive for drugs and get a 2 year ban for being a "cheat", despite having no impact whatsoever on the game.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    squired wrote:
    A Brazilian player can openly "cheat" in full view of the world, but suffer no consequences, despite it being the difference between a win and a draw. At the same time presumably someone sitting on the subs bench for Croatia could test positive for drugs and get a 2 year ban for being a "cheat", despite having no impact whatsoever on the game.

More to the point, a player can chop a fellow player in the neck with his forearm - quite deliberately - and still be on the pitch to score a couple of minutes later, simply due to the incompetence and spinelessness of one official.

ANYONE BUT BRAZIL!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ballysmate
    I just know that in 2 weeks or so this thread will evolve into a ' we woz robbed' thread after England crash out. :wink:

Remember Urs Meier ?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/13/sport ... .html?_r=0
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I don't give a feck for the World Cup at all so couldn't care less :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I actually like Blatter's idea of Managers being able to make a limited number of referrals to a TV judge. It would get rid of these kind of events pretty fast especially if diving in the box was a mandatory red (the opposite of the last man rule for defenders since it is an equal but opposite type of foul).

I am not sure why Football has been so stick in the mud about using technology, it is not like it needs to be rolled out to all levels of football.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Remember Rivlado vs Turkey in 2002?

And Brazil went on to win it.

YouTube it if you don't remember....
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Brillant stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVksdN4QnvA

I always support the Ivroy coast ,,, come on Drogba
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Anyone remember Gary Lineker diving against Cameroon in 1990? I just had to Google it to remind me and ironically lots of articles online where he criticises diving!
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,259
    I said at work this morning that the Ref must have got a backhander and got laughed at.
    I'm with you Anyone But Brazil.

It's Refereeinho, Brazil's new upcoming star.
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    as soon as the groups were announced I had a £10 bet at 20/1 that England will go home bottom of the group with nil points ,so far my tenners safe.
    I would love to be proved wrong COME ON ENGLAND!!