B'Twin Triban size recommendation?

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hello. I've been looking at the decathlon tribans seeming as though they seem to be the recommended bike in this price range. However I'm not sure which size to go for. I've only ever ridden mountainbikes in the past and normally fall directly between medium and large. I'm 5'9" and have an inside leg of 30"

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-s ... 06187.html

I also the Vitus Razer for the same price. I was wondering if this is worth it over the triban seeming as though it was more expensive to begin with.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod107022

Comments

• glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Mark,

if it's any help I'm 5'8" with a 30" inside leg. I bought a 54cm, only adjustment was to get shorter stem after a little while with it.
    Fits a treat.
    FYI there is a Triban website with lots of model specific advise. Just search on google.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Great cheers Glen
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm also about 5' 8", but longer legs and shorter torso. I'm ususally a 54/medium frame so would also err on the side of the 54.

When I bought a B'Twin for my son, I asked about what the frame measurement referred so, since there is no geometry informtion available. I was told its the top tube length, but I'm not sure that's even the case. The 57 I think is too large for you, the 51 too small..which leaves the 54!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If anyone is considering a 51, bear in mind that they dont come with standard size wheels.

As far as I am aware, the Decathlon bikes come up small. My 14yr old son has a 60cm Triban 3 and I was really worried about the size but its actually perfect. He is probably a bit taller than average for his age but not hugely tall - I havent measured him anywhere.

You need to try them really, because opinions seem to differ widely on the triban forums about size.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    apreading wrote:
    If anyone is considering a 51, bear in mind that they dont come with standard size wheels.

As far as I am aware, the Decathlon bikes come up small. My 14yr old son has a 60cm Triban 3 and I was really worried about the size but its actually perfect. He is probably a bit taller than average for his age but not hugely tall - I havent measured him anywhere.

You need to try them really, because opinions seem to differ widely on the triban forums about size.

Good points, certainly the Triban 3 comes with 650 in the smaller sizes.

My son's 45cm Triban 3 is small in that the seat tube is quite short (plenty of the seat post showing) and there's quite a drop to the bars - I had to fit one of those horrid looking angled stems. But the reach due to top tube length is quite long. Per advice above - best to try for size before buying.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava