Snapped derailleur

adowling92
adowling92 Posts: 225
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Riding along today and my chain kept on coming off in the lowest gear, so i had a look and couldn't see anything obvious, so i decided to start riding home. Long story short i was going up a short climb and my derailleur snapped off wrapping itself round my cassette and in to my spokes, bending some spokes.

Any reasons why this could suddenly happen?
The bike is only 15 months old and its ribble gran fondo.
Am i covered by any warrenties?
Also can anyone comfirm whether or not the metal plate built in to the frame is sheared too?

C7797589-3D7F-4B4E-B5C0-029A5A0CA522_zpslnzak183.jpg
9CA8CDED-8776-4A14-8A05-0530C620640A_zpstvjck33o.jpg
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No you have not snapped your derailleur you have so spec the breakable derailleur hanger.

The shop that supplied the frame should have spares.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    nicklouse wrote:
    No you have not snapped your derailleur you have so spec the breakable derailleur hanger.

The shop that supplied the frame should have spares.

Thanks.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    This is what you want. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

Unfortunately currently out of stock which is why it is a good idea to buy a spare when they aren't out of stock. No idea where else you can get them. Might take a while or no time at all for Ribble to get more.

Probably you'd already bent the hangar - hence why the chain kept derailing. Not warranty covered but not expensive to fix. Wheel should be straightforward as well.
    Faster than a tent.......