Gatorskin Upgrade

Elfed
Elfed Posts: 459
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
HI, having always rode on Gatorskins I'm thinking of upgrading to a faster tyre.

I've always rode 25mm Gatorskins because of the puncture protection, which I like, but read everywhere that they're a harsh and slowish tyre. I run mine at around 95-100psi.

Has anyone experience of going from this tyre to something like a GP4000s, Grand Prix GT or Grand Prix 4S, and was there a great difference?

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I went from 25mm ultra gatorskins to GP four seasons. Definitely a smoother, more compliant ride and more confident cornering.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • Elfed
    iga wrote:
    I went from 25mm ultra gatorskins to GP four seasons. Definitely a smoother, more compliant ride and more confident cornering.

What about punctures?
  • I wouldn't look too deep into it.

Absolutely anything would be an upgrade over the Gatorskins. Absolutely the worst tyres I've ever had the misfortune to ride.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    Are the 4 seasons as puncture resistant as the gatorskins ?
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Tiesetrotter
    Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
    Vittoria rubino pro. Very resistant and damn good feel. If you want more protection in the winter go for the tech version.

Generally the more expensive the tyre the softer and lighter they are. So you are buying grip and marginal speed. Which generally results in punctures on the pot holed roads of Britain.
  • Elfed
    Vittoria rubino pro. Very resistant and damn good feel. If you want more protection in the winter go for the tech version.

Generally the more expensive the tyre the softer and lighter they are. So you are buying grip and marginal speed. Which generally results in punctures on the pot holed roads of Britain.

They're a good price on Wiggle.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Are the 4 seasons as puncture resistant as the gatorskins ?

Probably not - but they can take some serious beatings - I still wouldn't ride over glass with them.
  • Elfed
    Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a pair of GP4000s 2 - 25mm, hopefully I'll not be plagued with punctures and see some difference from my trusty Gatorskins.
  • Elfed
    First ride on the GP4000s mk2 on a 23 mile loop I do when pushed for time, all I can say is wow!!!

A night and day difference to the wired Gatorskins! I've ridden 4000 miles only using Gatorskins, and was happy using them, but wanted to try something else out of curiosity.

The ride is way way smoother, the Gatorskins are very jarring and feel every lump but these seem to dampen everything.
    They roll so much quicker as well and it feels like I'm using less effort and a gear higher to produce the same results.

Well pleased, hopefully they'll last through the summer!!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited June 2014
    Puncture resistance make the gator skin a decent tyre in my book. I have had awful luck with the GR 4season so much so in winter I am gator skin hardshells again. Once you get used to them they are O.K they even have grip if you take a leap of faith. Verdesein tri comp fortezza are another tyre worth a look as is the GP 4000s if you want low rolling resistance and they are quite robust too. I prefer the GP4000s over the SP 4 seasons. If you want comfort try the Vittoria Open Pave 25mm or 27mm tyres they are sublime.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Elfed
    I've had no problems with the Gatorskins, and will probably ride them through the winter, but really enjoyed today's ride.

Are the Hardshells a better tyre than the standard Gatorskins?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The hardshell version is heavier but more puncture resistant but it does this at the expense of ride comfort and grip but I have had no issues with grip as I am willing to take that leap of faith and trust the bike to get me round. Always works.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    So nice to see someone happy after switching from Gatorskins.

Some people view punctures like being diagnosed with a deadly disease. I'd easily put up with the odd commuting or training puncture (note: not racing) for more riding enjoyment and feel.

I also moved after several riding mates (and I) wiped out on ice this past winter. I bought Grand Prix with the black chili compound and was pleased by the smoothness...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Some people view punctures like being diagnosed with a deadly disease. I'd easily put up with the odd commuting or training puncture (note: not racing) for more riding enjoyment and feel.

Depends where the puncture is. I had a double snakebite puncture at the weekend descending a steep mountain pass at speed. Fortunately, I came to a stop safely.

In reality, it wasn't really the tyres, I just had not inflated them to high enough pressure. I thought 100psi would be enough but they clearly need more on rough surfaces. So punctures for me are a deadly disease, as safety is at stake.
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    I've put some Continental Grand Prix GTs on for the summer. Nice improvement over the Gatorskins and a bargain at £23 each (Merlin Cycles).
  • Elfed
    dfriel2 wrote:
    I've put some Continental Grand Prix GTs on for the summer. Nice improvement over the Gatorskins and a bargain at £23 each (Merlin Cycles).

I looked at those as well, they were £19.95 on Friday, but I'd ordered the GP4000s 2 by then. What did you find different to the Gatorkins?
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Going back 5 years ago GatorSkins were great. I gave up on them a couple of years ago the ride got worse, grip got worse and puncture protection got worse. I have no idea what they did to a good tyre. :?
  • I find Gatorskin's overkill, went from them to GP4000s, and had the same number of punctures (about 1 each in their life time), having said that I do think the GP4000s have worn quicker, i.e. softer compound, they are still in use, but with obvious wear.

Currently on Michellin Service Course 4, a small weight saving, so far so good, but only been using them a month.
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    Elfed wrote:
    dfriel2 wrote:

I looked at those as well, they were £19.95 on Friday, but I'd ordered the GP4000s 2 by then. What did you find different to the Gatorkins?

They are a little quicker, but that's not the main benefit. They definitely provide a more comfortable ride and grip levels seem to have been improved. It's what I'd expect.