Bib shorts

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all.

I currently have endura fs260 bibs, but the gel part of the 400 series seems to be coming loose. So thinking new shorts.

I like the enduras so was thinking of getting another pair and getting a pair of fs260 pros for longer runs. But I've been looking at the dhb aeron race and pro instead of the 2 enduras.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which direction I should go. I dont want to break the bank around £50 for shorter run bibs and up to £70 for longer run bibs.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Check out etxeondo on sale at Merlin

http://www.merlincycles.com/etxeondo-ne ... 69256.html
  • mathematics
    Thanks for that.

Are they a foam pad? Is it bulky?
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Yes and no.....

Oh and get a Torm jersey to go with them

http://torm.cc/t2.html
  • mathematics
    Thank you looked at torm jerseys before.

What sort of time rating would you give the bibs?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Must say I'm very tempted by the bibs Merlin are selling - they appear to get great reviews and my curiosity increased when I saw Sean Kelly wearing them on an organised ride! He rated them highly, albeit he has a reputation for being a very tough cookie so may not need decent padding!!

Peter
  • mathematics
    Were they the bibs in the link, Peter?
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    To be honest I don't think so - I was working on the principal that eg Assos don't make a bad pair of bibs (they do have a new top of the range model with a daft feature though!!) and it may be the same with Etxeondo. I liked the look of the Ohri version and did a few google searches for reviews which were very positive.

Peter
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    If you want a decent pad and don't want to break the bank try a pair of Funkier 17 panel gel bibs. Astonishing value for money in my opinion. I ordered a pair of them and a pair of Etxeondo New Press to compare (because the Orhi were out of stock in my size at the time) and I kept the Funkier ones and sent the Etxeondos back. Got mine for a few pennies under £40 from Amazon. They were recommended to me by a very competent and experienced cyclist friend who swears by them. I'm interested in getting some of the Orhis at some point becasue they do seem very good bibs but in a different league price-wise so not a fair comparison really.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • mathematics
    A mate I ride with has the funkiers and he really doesn't rate the pad after 2 hours or so? Guess its a personal thing, so prob makes this thread worthless :(

Anyone heard of the endura pad 'separating'? Only had them since October and prob done no more than 20 rides
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Bought a pair of funkier bibs a while back, worst bibs I have ever worn. The pad is a joke , it looks like they designed and make the pad themselves. I have bought 4 etxeondo bibs from merlin, 2 dicolour and 2 orhi. The dicolour are good and great value for the money with a good pad but the orhi are simply brilliant.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    I have a pair of the Ohri bibs - used them on a 6 hour ride the other weekend and they were perfectly comfortable. I would highly recommend them!
  • mathematics
    Thanks guys. Think I could be tempted to bust out on a pair of ohris!

Anyone have any experience of aeron pro or fs260 pro?
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I have a pair of Aeron Pros. My only complaint is that they're a little baggy in the crotch, and that could be because I need a smaller size and/or have unusual proportions. The pad is comfortable enough.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Thanks guys. Think I could be tempted to bust out on a pair of ohris!

Anyone have any experience of aeron pro or fs260 pro?

Got myself a pair of FS260 bib shorts for yesterday's ride after the good reviews on here. Was in the saddle for 10 hours, and I have to say they are the most comfortable shorts I have worn. Had a little bit of numbness creeping in at the 60 mile mark but then it settled down.

I normally wear our club bib shorts which are pretty good, but the FS260 pad is noticably thicker and it gives excellent comfort for extended rides.

Bought them at Evans with a price match against CRC (£61 ish)

Also tried some "bag balm"...did what it says in the tin! Can also be used on cow's udders and other animals bits apparently.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava